Installing an in-wall skimmer tomorrow, questions about stoc

Jul 4, 2013
My 2650 intex sand filter and hayward skimmer are coming tomorrow. I'm reading up and ready for the install, except I'm a little confused on where the best location is to install the skimmer? I'm guessing it won't replace the current pump intake. If that's the case, do I need to either plug the stock hole, or run some type of connector so as to run both? Simultaneously, or separately? Does that "hardware" come with either the pump or the skimmer?

Thanks for the help! Anxious to get this up and running!

Re: Installing an in-wall skimmer tomorrow, questions about

the most common location i've seen is on the intex logo, close to the seam.

the original pump intake will no longer be necessary, but you can use pvc to connect it if you want to. that is what i did. when using the skimmer i close off the valve from the original pump intake when i'm using the original intake, i close off the skimmer.

another option is to change the original pump intake to an inlet for the pool. a third option is to run pipe through the hole for a fountain. or you could just keep it capped off.

the sand filter will come with plunger valves, adapters to connect them if you have a small intex pool, the large strainer and inlet assemblies. the skimmer comes with a hose adapter, a port to attach a vacuum, and a pool inlet.

if you decide to cap off, you can use pvc or hose to connect the skimmer to the pump. if you want to use the original pump intake and the skimmer, pvc is the way to go.

ugafan said:

This is what I did, getting the top of the cutout right on the "weld," the seam between the blue liner and the grey top.
the original pump intake will no longer be necessary, but you can use pvc to connect it if you want to. that is what i did. when using the skimmer i close off the valve from the original pump intake when i'm using the original intake, i close off the skimmer.

Ditto again. I teed the old Intex outlet into the skimmer line. I was concerned with how much my Hayward pump would draw through the skimmer, and my skimmer vacuum plate doesn't work very well, so I use the Intex outlet as a vacuum port.
another option is to change the original pump intake to (a second) inlet for the pool.

If I move my solar panels next season and hard-plumb, I may choose to do this, although I'd need to solve the vacuum issue.

Got the new pump and new in-out-lets in. Cutting was easy, but cut too small on the first attempt, and had to awkward trim the excess, almost stabbing a hole in the wall!

Didn't get to the Hayward skimmer tonight, a project for the morning!

CeeElGee, what parts did you use to tie in the original inlet? I zoomed in one your picture, but I'm not sure what all I'd need to pickup.

What's the issue with your vacuum and your skimmer?

peripatew said:
CeeElGee, what parts did you use to tie in the original inlet? I zoomed in one your picture, but I'm not sure what all I'd need to pickup.

Most of the parts are standard stuff. The ball valve/union is a Hayward that came with my Hayward pump & filter. I used a male NPT adapter on the bottom of the union (also the same female NPT threads coming out of the skimmer) to 1-1/2" PVC into a tee that had threads on the perpendicular side, which then got one of these Intex fittings I found on eBay. They are great, allowing me to go from 1-1/2" female NPT to the nice and secure Intex hose connection. That all dropped down into a 1-1/2" hose barb that goes to my pump intake.

What's the issue with your vacuum and your skimmer?

I don't know. Maybe the Hydro Tools vacuum plate isn't very well engineered. I was trying to use it with the strainer basket in place. Maybe I wasn't using it right. Now that I have discovered the secret to defeating the anti-suction relief mechanism on the Intex valve, I'm having better results just using that outlet for my vacuuming. If my water level drops enough and I don't have the weir in place, the pump can suck the skimmer "dry" so to speak unless I open up the Intex valve a bit.

Gotcha. I had assumed the intex pipes would be standard. Booo!

Looks like a trip to the Box is needed to make this work.

Ill need another flexible tube for either the in-wall or intake skimmer, should I order an intex tube, or get something from the pool store?

I'd like to PVC everything, but really need to stop bleeding money.

peripatew said:
Gotcha. I had assumed the intex pipes would be standard. Booo!

No, they're not. To most everyone's dismay!
Ill need another flexible tube for either the in-wall or intake skimmer, should I order an intex tube, or get something from the pool store?

It depends whether you want to use the Intex connection or just hose barbs with stainless steel clamps. Up to you. I had extra Intex hoses lying around, so it was an easy choice for me.

I'd like to PVC everything, but really need to stop bleeding money.

Well, good luck with that, my friend! :lol:

I would like to chime in here if I may instead of starting another thread. I just got the Hayward thru wall skimmer. I am going to hard plumb continuing to use the original outlet, but I am unsure how to connect the skimmer to the PVC. It looks like it is 2.5" and all the intex connections are 1.5".

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

[attachment=0:2vjbvlfj]IMG_20130729_191349_opt.jpg[/attachment:2vjbvlfj]

I didn't use the barb piece that came with it. The 1st piece is a 1.5 threaded on one end and 1.5 coupler on the other. The next piece is the reducer, 1.5 to 1.25. Then I used one of those prices where you can take apart if you have to take the skimmer off to work on it. I don't know what it is called. Then comes the valve.

Attachments

• IMG_20130729_191349_opt.jpg
    IMG_20130729_191349_opt.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 226

rpeters12 said:
[attachment=0:e1pbzr9n]IMG_20130729_191349_opt.jpg[/attachment:e1pbzr9n]

I didn't use the barb piece that came with it. The 1st piece is a 1.5 threaded on one end and 1.5 coupler on the other. The next piece is the reducer, 1.5 to 1.25. Then I used one of those prices where you can take apart if you have to take the skimmer off to work on it. I don't know what it is called. Then comes the valve.

It's called a union :wink:

Done! Took less than an hour, could have done it much faster if I wasn't so stressed about cutting the liner!

It's working great so far, much easier to vacuum now.

I didn't reconnect the old skimmer, don't see much of a point right now?

Got all the needed parts for $25 at our local store, with the ball joint being the most expensive.

miket0620 said:
ugafan said:

Is the best practice to cut the liner with it full of water?

My skimmer (Hydro Tools) came with two gaskets, one for the inside of the pool and one for the outside. After deciding to do the install without draining any water, I located and marked on the outside of the pool exactly where I wanted the skimmer, then punched the top set of holes for the screws through the liner. I added silicone to the entire outside gasket and lined it up with the skimmer, the inside gasket and the inside plate.

When I had those screws started, I did the screw holes below the water line. Some water leaked out but I quickly had all the screws as tight as possible. Not entirely, though, as I was prevented from finishing the tightening until the liner was cut. With that done, all the screws came tight and I lost very little water. Note: don't forget to have some sort of valve on the bottom of the skimmer before you cut the liner, allowing all that water into the skimmer :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.