New Pool Owner Questions

Mar 24, 2013
Tucson, AZ
Sorry if these questions are already asked (I'm sure they are somewhere), but I couldn't find them with the search tool.

I just got a brand new pool, and it's only been filled with water about a week. I have a test kit on order already after trying to go to the pool stores and receiving different readings (and then reading on here that getting my own kit is better). However, the test 'strips' that the pool company gave me and the stores all say that my TA and PH are high. So I've started adding muratic acid to lower PH, but it doesn't seem to be having a big impact. I'm not adding the fully amount recommends, for fear of damaging the interior finish of the pool.

The interior finish is blue pebble tec, and like I said, it's brand new. So, do I need to treat the pool any differently chemical-wise during the first month or so while the Pebble Tec cures?

Also, how do I add Chlorine and Muratic Acid (and future chemicals) into the pool? All the posts I find say to add it in front of a return jet. My only returns though are the skimmer basket and the drain in the bottom/center of the pool (I have an in-floor popup system). So where do I add the chemicals? Just in front of the skimmer basket I have a lagoon area (about a 1 1/2 deep), so I haven't wanted to pour anything into the water in FRONT of that since it's so shallow. So far, I've just been pouring it slowly into the deep end and hoping the in-floors are stirring up enough water to properly mix the water.

Thanks for the help!

Returns, from our perspective, is referring to the water that is returning to the pool. Not the water that is returning to the filter.

Think of the external equipment as yourself. The pump sucks water from the pool (may also be helped by gravity), through the skimmers and main drain, (this is called the suction side of your plumbing). On the other side of the pump is the filter (maybe an SWG) and the 'return' to the pool, this is called the pressure side of the plumbing. Where the pressurized water exits into your pool is called the 'return', it is not the skimmer or main drain which are on the suction side of the filtration system.

I would venture to guess that you are not seeing the pH and TA change on the strips as they are are inaccurate. If you added MA, it will change your pH, even if the strip doesn't show it.

Until you get your kits, you can focus on keeping your FC in the 1-4 PPM range. When you add liquid chemicals, add them slowly in front of the return, where the water is flowing into the pool. I have heard it described as a stream of liquid less than the diameter of a pencil. The MA, and CL to some extent, you can see the cloud of chemical in front of the return. MA can be dangerous. Do not breathe in the fumes.

Adding the chemicals to the skimmer sucks then directly in to the pump and filter and can damage them. In general... do not add ANy chemical directly to the skimmer, even if the package says to. I also do not recommend "walking around the perimeter pouring in the chemical", this includes either solid or liquid chemicals.

Pool School has the correct methods to use for adding each chemical to your pool. The methods described in the school are safest for all types of pools as adding the chems the incorrect way can dame the pool surfaces. The instructions on the packages may make many bad assumptions about your pool.

I wonder if pktopgun's "returns" are like mine, from the bottom of the pool. The only "return" as you describe it is a one pumping water into our shallow separate children's pool. As this is only 80cm deep I wouldn't want to be pouring chemicals in front of that. I say separate, but there is a wall between that and the main pool which is a few inches below the water line.

I too have been pouring slowly into the deep end. Is there any other way we can do it. We do not have traditional skimmers as it is an infinity pool.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

I get now that the 'return' is water returning INTO the pool, I had that backwards. For me then, I just need to pour it into the deep end when my pop-ups are working in that area.

To be clear, I have a self cleaning system installed, so I don't have a return coming from the side of the pool. Instead, there are ~12 popups located around the bottom of the pool, and water cycles through those popups to clean the bottom of the pool. If I pour it into the deep end when the pop-ups in that area are working, I'm sure it will circulate the water well and prevent it from just sitting on the bottom.

Thanks for the help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.