Can't get pH right!

bigdog12

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 25, 2009
SC
Please help!!! My pool is a green mess at present :cry: . Two weeks ago, it was gorgeous. Then, it rained very heavy every day for two weeks here in SC. Now my pool is a swamp. I haven't put in any bleach because I can't get the pH below 8.8 ( this is by testing with my TFT kit as well as the local pool store). I have put in a total of 30 lbs of pH reducer (from Leslie's), 5 gallons of muriatic acid and yet the pH stays high! I haven't added bleach because theoretically it won't work at this high ph. Before the rain, there was no organic matter on the bottom (I can't see the bottom at present). My current numbers are:

pH greater than 8.8 ( by the pool store and off the scale with my TFT Kit)
FC = 0
TA = 113 (store numbers say corrected to 95)
CYA = 60
Pool is in-ground, vinyl-lined and 43,500 gallons. Pump is a Heyward 1.5hp and I have a Hayward 500 lb sand filter (seems to be in good working order) that runs 24/7.

My salt generator isn't working, so I've been using 12% Sodium Hypochlorite till now. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. By the way, I recently had a skimmer line replaced as it was clogged - I added this as the only thing that I have done so I can give as much information as possible. Thanks again!

Bigdog12

I'm thinking that there must be some mistake being made somewhere. 30 pounds of dry acid and 5 gallons of muriatic acid and your pH is still way over 8? How would your pH suddenly get so high? Are you sure that you used dry acid and full strength muriatic acid?

What was your TA before adding all of the acid?

What is the pH and TA of your fill water?

I really have no idea how the pH got so high. To my knowledge, no borates were added. Water comes from a well with a pH of 6.8. It has rained a lot over the past month here in SC (avg 1.5 in/day). I did add sodium bicarb as I have done a lot of backwasing to keep the pool level down. I added sodium bicarb to get the TA up from 40 to 95. Any suggestions will be really appreciated!

pH just doesn't jump like that on it's own. I suggest you get a new complete pH test kit. The under $10.00 ones are fine for this purpose.

I sure would not add any more acid at this point.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.