Hi, new the the forums and new home owner with a 16x32 vinyl pool. Using a Hayward Perflex 65A (I think...the serial number says ECX1184AT) DE filter. The filter has recently been causing me problems, where the filter pressure will rise 10 psi in as few as 30 minutes and there will be very little return flow. That is causing me the biggest grief, because I can't really filter my pool.
There are a number of problems going on that I have either inherited from the previous home owners or caused through my pool newbie mistakes, including:
1. skimmer line has a big leak underground (under the concrete, that will be a fun repair)...lost 900 gal overnight. consequently the skimmer is plugged and also disconnected from the pump suction. I am only pumping through the drain
2. I added DE pound by pound through the priming box as the only way to get it into the filter, but doing this sends a lot of air through the filter at the same time, so I don't know how good of a job it is doing
3. my FC was 1.5 ppm with 150ppm CYA ... so I had good water for a while but lately during these 95 deg sunny days have had algae blooms... I just drained half my pool and am refilling. Am going to stop using trichlor stabilized tablets and add bleach and CYA independently from now on
4. my pool has metals, not sure if that could contribute (turned green a while back, which I chelated out)
So about a month back I did take apart the filter and soak it in some store bought DE filter cleaning solution from Leslie's (sodium bisulfate I think...it is a red solution) I did not read the forums prior to doing that so did not do a degrease in detergent first, although I did hose all the old DE gunk off. The problem is, I might have clogged it back up right away because I didn't load it with DE right away (didn't realize skimmer was plugged off from previous owner....D'oh). So anyway, the filter is clogged again.
So a couple questions:
- do I need to take apart the filter and clean again? Those 15 bolts are a real pain in the rear end...
- should I just backwash and add through the priming box again, but add less? The recommended 6 # by Hayward seems like too much to me
- is my DE through the pump priming box not going to work for proper filter coating (requiring an expensive concrete rip up)?
In the meantime, time to wait for a few days while my puny garden hose pumps 11,000 gallons back into my pool.