Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: newbie

1. Back To Top    #1

Been thinking of gettin a pool for a while doing lots of research on the big local companies. Joining to make sure I'm not missing anything before I commit. The kids are waiting to swim...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: newbie

Welcome! Many of us here probably wish we would have found this site BEFORE we purchased and filled a pool. I know I wish I would have! Go to pool school and learn everything you can.
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

You are already on the right track by wanting to check into things before buying/installing a pool.

If you or your wife are at all hesitant about a pool, you can get a seasonal for the first year or two before pulling the trigger on a more permanent installation.

When you decide on a pool, it would be a good idea to read through Pool School, linked in the upper right of these pages. Read through it several times.

You will note that having a good test kit is paramount to successful pool operation, so don't skimp on this one very important piece of pool equipment. http://tftestkits.net/ had the best value in testing equipment for home pools.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Tell us a bit more about yourself, where are you located (put location in your profile so it will show up on every post) , what type of pool are you considering, what sort of yard space and budget are you dealing with, etc.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm in kenner la, looking to spend about $35k. Going with about 450sqft lagoon with a four deck jets and bubblers on tanning deck and two sheer descents. LED lighting with auto control system and salt add on not sure abiut the number of lights was told to go with two but was also told the one 5g intellibrite will do just fine. Also thinking of going with the pentair challengar pumps. I'm in between a pool guy and the diy, the pool guy giving me a fairly good deal and I've seen a few of his jobs. But just doing what I have to do to save cash we have four kids so u know how that is

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP

This has been my go to many many times since i bought a pool. I am all about diy, and everytime I needed to fix something somebody has already done it here. Just searched forums and read, If I can't find what i'm looking for, I post my question.
    20K gallon IG Gunite-pebble w/ raised spa/waterfall, Hayward 6020 DE filter, unknown pool/spa/waterfall pump, unknown blower blower, LPG heater, Ultrapure Ozonator 25, 2004, Dallas TX

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.