GV bleach fluke

Jun 10, 2012
Labelle, TX
Every once and a while I like to do an OCLT. I guess it's the OCD coming out in me, so the wife just lets me be. Anyway I tested and got a base then took the pool up to my high target tonight with fresh Walmart bleach. Tested an hour or so later and have overshot my target by 3.5. Now after several years of testing I feel very confident in my testing skills. Nothing has changed. The volume is the same, my testing and dosing trends show no change. I start playing around on the poolcalculator changing % from 8.25. I get to 12% and it's the same amount I dosed the pool. Scratching my head I go out and look at the bottles. Shows 8.25% but the date code shows 196 or July 15th out of the Texas plant. Talk about short shelf life. I am looking at it as a fluke but we'll see what the other 4 bottles do.

What do you mean short shelf life? ... that appears to show that the bleach is closer to 12% when it leaves the plant so that it will still be above 8.25% after a few months are various stores.

If you are that close to the plant, seems like yours should always be extra strong ... unless it has been sitting around.

Looks more like short process and transit! 7 Days from process to in your pool. It could be that they package a higher concentration so that by the time someone buys it from the store, its still hopefully at least the listed strength. Can tell that bottle spent no time in a warehouse, or back room waiting to be put out to the shelf.

You know...don't want to be like Subway and advertise a foot long sub and get sued for it being 11 inches.

jblizzle said:
What do you mean short shelf life? ...

Not really short shelf life but like plant to pool shelf life. :goodjob: This is the first time I really noticed something like this and that much over the stated %. When I get bleach, I always look at the date. Tonight when I got this they had some that were 149. Just wish I could find a local place that had stated 12% or so in carboys. Easier to lug around.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.