Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: GV bleach fluke

1. Back To Top    #1

GV bleach fluke

Every once and a while I like to do an OCLT. I guess it's the OCD coming out in me, so the wife just lets me be. Anyway I tested and got a base then took the pool up to my high target tonight with fresh Walmart bleach. Tested an hour or so later and have overshot my target by 3.5. Now after several years of testing I feel very confident in my testing skills. Nothing has changed. The volume is the same, my testing and dosing trends show no change. I start playing around on the poolcalculator changing % from 8.25. I get to 12% and it's the same amount I dosed the pool. Scratching my head I go out and look at the bottles. Shows 8.25% but the date code shows 196 or July 15th out of the Texas plant. Talk about short shelf life. I am looking at it as a fluke but we'll see what the other 4 bottles do.
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: GV bleach fluke

What do you mean short shelf life? ... that appears to show that the bleach is closer to 12% when it leaves the plant so that it will still be above 8.25% after a few months are various stores.

If you are that close to the plant, seems like yours should always be extra strong ... unless it has been sitting around.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Looks more like short process and transit! 7 Days from process to in your pool. It could be that they package a higher concentration so that by the time someone buys it from the store, its still hopefully at least the listed strength. Can tell that bottle spent no time in a warehouse, or back room waiting to be put out to the shelf.

You know...don't want to be like Subway and advertise a foot long sub and get sued for it being 11 inches.
    12500 gallons, 24 foot round above ground
    Hayward Sand filter, Pentair OptiFlo 1HP 2-Speed pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    What do you mean short shelf life? ...
    Not really short shelf life but like plant to pool shelf life. This is the first time I really noticed something like this and that much over the stated %. When I get bleach, I always look at the date. Tonight when I got this they had some that were 149. Just wish I could find a local place that had stated 12% or so in carboys. Easier to lug around.
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"