Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Testing water

1. Back To Top    #1

Testing water

I just finished having my pool remodeled (new DiamondBrite, tile, coping) and I'm having a pool company maintain it while the rest of our house is being remodeled.
    I've always had a hard time reading the results of the drop tests w/ the slight differences in color shades. Has anyone tried a digital tester? What is the easiest, most accurate way to test water, without guessing at color shades or having to drive to a pool store?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: Testing water

Welcome to tfp, CHooper

The best test kits are discussed here: Although they are drop based, only one test (ph) requires seeing color shades. The rest are just counting drops until the color goes from pink to clear, etc. Not difficult at all.

Digital testers sound great, but the ones that do okay cost a lot. In addition, all digital testers need to be calibrated regularly.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Bay City, Michigan

Re: Testing water ... sults_main

There is a link for videos on the tests that are included with the TF-100. Only the OTO and PH test are color matching. The accurate chlorine test (FAS/DPD) is counting drops. The videos show the CYA test, FAS/DPD chlorine test, the OTO Chlorine and PH Test, the Total Alkalinity test, and the Calcium Hardness Test.

Quote Originally Posted by CHooper
    most accurate way to test water, without guessing at color shades or having to drive to a pool store?
    For your own safety, no more using accurate and pool store in the same post.
    12500 gallons, 24 foot round above ground
    Hayward Sand filter, Pentair OptiFlo 1HP 2-Speed pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Fallsburg, NY

Re: Testing water

+1 tf-100 or Taylor K-2006 for very easy to read tests. SpeedStir makes testing even easier.
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.
    New pool, 16'x36' (approx 18000 gal) in ground pool, Haywood DE filter