Beginners advice (1 week in)

itodd

Jul 15, 2013
Gastonia, NC
My above ground pool has been opened a week. I've used the pool calculator and it seems everything is in check. I ordered the TF-100 kit and hopefully it will arrive soon.

In the meantime, here are my levels for a 4625 gallon Intex Ultra Frame Pool with a filter pump and SWG.

These results are with a reagent drop test.

FC 2.0
CC 0
pH 7.2
TA 80

I've used strips for the results below:
TH 100
TC 1
FC 3
pH 7.2
TA 80
Stabilizer 40

The water looks clear. I had to adjust the pH (adding muriatic acid) because it was running at 7.8 and the TA was at 130 and is now down to 80 and the pH is a little low at 7.2.

Does anyone see any concerns or have any suggestions? I added 15 oz of bleach this evening also (according to the Pool Cal).

Is my stabilizer at a good level? I added it a week ago (1 pound of cyanuric acid).

Hopefully I will have more reliable numbers once the TF-100 arrives.

Two weeks ago I knew nothing about this "stuff." I've followed the advice and read and re read Pool School. It does help.

Any suggestions or advice or reassurance is appreciated.

Thanks

Congrats.

If your water is clear your doing something right. When the good kit comes post those results. You know how we fill about the test strips.

With the CYA at 40 (check it again when the good kit comes) keep your FC at 3-7 ppm. Don't let drop below 3 ppm.

Keep up the good work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

I do know how everyone feels about the strips. I've gotten different reading using the drops vs the strips. I find the strips hard to read when comparing the colors plus the increments go up so much you don't know a very exact reading.

I'm handing skimming everyday, testing everyday and I'm waiting on a vacuum to arrive so I can keep the bottom cleaner.

I'm actually enjoying the chemistry piece of the pool. I have a stressful job (working with kids in a psych hospital) and couldn't wait to get home and just float around in the pool. Most relaxing moment I've had in a while.

Thanks for the encouragement. My "good work" is all due to this site.

I agree with pwrstrk, recheck that cya (and other parameters) when your kit comes. If you have only added a lb of stabilizer, then your level should be 26.

Also notice how your strips said FC was greater than TC. That is impossible...TC=FC+CC

With the SWG you want the CYA to be around 60-80 ppm. You won't be able to test accurately until the TF100 comes. If you have to add more CYA which you prob will, remember the CYA will lower your PH some. The pool calc will tell you how much at the bottom. Effects of adding chem's

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would raise the CYA level to 60-80 with the SWG. . It will also lower your PH. I would raise PH up then add the stabilizer. Raising PH also raises TA some. Or you can tackle the PH last. Your choice.

Look at the pool calc at the bottom, effects of adding chem's. it will tell you how much of x amount of stabilizer will lower PH.

I'm adding CYA now (put it in a sock and hung it from the ladder in front of the water return). (adding 31 ounces is what the Pool Calculator said and it should have minimal effect on the pH but I will check everything tomorrow and probably starting getting the pH up.

I'm waiting on a pool vacuum to arrive. There is a little dirt on the bottom in places. I'm keeping everything skimmed.

I'm trying to just enjoy the process. I know I'm learning as I go along.

Thanks for the advice. I'm sure I'll need more tomorrow.

Your TA needs to come down, so don't adjust pH up, it will rise by itself with the SWG turned on, you can also accelerate the rise by aerating the water (turn your outflow so it breaks the surface). Wait for it to rise to 7.8 and lower it back to 7.2 using Muriatic acid. Keep doing this until TA is in range (60-80), then stabilize your pH at 7.5-7.8.

Did yours come with an aimable eyeball on the outflow (the one that shoots water back into the pool)? If it did, just point that up toward the surface so it agitates the surface, if it didn't, there are other creative solutions, like disconnecting the hose from the outlet on the outside of the pool (assuming you have a shut off valve) and securing that to the top rail so the outflow shoots into the pool from above the waterline.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.