Beginners advice (1 week in)

It didn't come with an aimable eyeball. Sounds like I can put the plug on the return valve, unhook the hose and let it aerate in that manner.

My TA is holding at 110. How do I get the TA to 60-70? Aerate?

FC 4.0
CC .5
TC 4.5
CYA 70
pH 7.2

You can't raise PH without raising TA. They work together. I would leave PH alone. It should come up on its own. Splashing and even raining on the water will raise PH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

I ordered an Intex Small Blue Strainer Hose B Adaptor. From what I can tell, I can add a 45 degree angle pvc fitting along with some pipe and a cap (drill holes in the cap or leave the cap off) and that will create an aerator for me.

I'm putting all my trust in you guys. There are so many other sites that say different stuff but I'm just putting my faith into you all. So far, no one has lead me wrong and I'm constantly learning something. I'm finally understanding the aerator benefits and how one thing can put something else out of whack totally.

With everyone's help I got the CYA level up easily and will just keep an eye on the pH for now. The TF-100 has made a difference. Expensive but worth it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
itodd said:
[...]
The TF-100 has made a difference. Expensive but worth it.

I don't consider a good test kit expensive at all when you consider how much it saves you at the pool store. You can easily spend over $100 in chemicals in one visit if you take your water in to be tested. That is just for the first visit, consider also that you will be in there every week with a new problem by following their advice.

I've never been in a pool store. I'm curious to go in to see what accessories they have but after reading these forums I just know I would get screwed so I'm staying away.

pwrstrk: Thanks for checking on the pH.

All this chemistry stuff is rather enjoyable

Pool stores aren't the problem, it is the advice they give. If you go in there and don't listen to anything they say, you will be fine. I personally haven't been into a pool store since I don't know when, because everything I need I order through Amazon.

i was buying a toy at an LPS this weekend, the woman getting her water tested was being sold PhosFree and other stuff I assume (I left). When she walked into the store, the PhosFree was the first thing she grabbed, before testing.

The one thing I do know... her CYA was thru the roof. The employee filled the slide tube and stirred it with the slide and it immediately became so cloudy I could not see thru the tube, sideways.

I was digging through a cabinet looking for something else and found some old water analysis printouts from my pre-BBB days - Bioguard, if anyone's curious. God, what an idiot I was. However, I did get a good laugh out of reading them. I mean, their suggestions were basically a cross between stereo instructions and a textbook from Hogwarts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.