Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need help with plumbing layout. DIY build about to begin!

1. Back To Top    #1

Need help with plumbing layout. DIY build about to begin!

Hi all! I am going to start our dig in about a week or so. Could someone please give me a proper layout for my plumbing situation? The pool is an 18 x 36 IG lagoon with a sport depth of 3.5-5-3.5. Not sure how many gallons that will be. The pump is a TriStar 2 speed 1.5HP. 27" sand filter. There will be no main drains. I have 2 standard skimmers. Planned on running 4 returns. 4 deck jets. 1 small waterfall. Can I run these with the one pump? I only plan on running the water features a couple hours a day. Running all 2" rigid. Planned on running everything separate back to the pad. I'm just not sure where to put all the valves, etc. If anyone could give me a schematic/picture/info, it would be greatly appreciated.
    18x36 Lagoon vinyl IG DIY sport bottom 3.5-5-3.5 18K gal. Hayward Tri-Star 1 1/2 HP 2 Speed, Hayward 27" 350lb. sand filter, Hayward Aquarite w/ T-15, 1 skimmer, 2 returns, 2 step jets, 4 deck jets, 1 waterfall, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need help with plumbing layout. DIY build about to begin

There are so many options. You're best bet is to look at a lot of the build photos here and see how they've done it.

I would stub the individual lines up at the pad and put the valves on each one and then manifold the skimmers to the pump and the reurns from the final peice of equipment. You can run it all on one pump but it will require some automation to make it all work together smoothly.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Bama. That's kind of what I had in mind. I've been looking at tons of build pictures on here for weeks. Haven't found any that has every run back to the pad including deck jets. I think during that stage, I will stub up every pipe at the pad and label them, then figure how to manifold them together. Since I won't have a heater or floor drains, where would I need a 3-way valve at? I plan on putting 2 way valves on every return and deck jet pipe for control. Also, since there is no main drain and just 2 skimmers, do I need another lower suction port on the wall somewhere? Thanks!
    18x36 Lagoon vinyl IG DIY sport bottom 3.5-5-3.5 18K gal. Hayward Tri-Star 1 1/2 HP 2 Speed, Hayward 27" 350lb. sand filter, Hayward Aquarite w/ T-15, 1 skimmer, 2 returns, 2 step jets, 4 deck jets, 1 waterfall, TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't think you need a 3-way unless you want one on the skimmer lines just to help make sure that both skimmers can't be closed at the same time.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

I've been in a few pools that have a lower suction port that looks just like a return. Is this for a cleaner, or is it needed?

6. Back To Top    #6

Sometimes they plumb a cleaner line and sometimes it's an equalizer line in case the water gets below the skimmers.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

Would there be a reason to plumb one on my build? Are they left on all the time with skimmers or shut off? Thanks for your replies.

8. Back To Top    #8

They're connected to the bottom of the skimmer and the diverter controls the flow if the water level gets low. There's no manually controlling it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Ah, thanks. My in-laws pool has one that is on the opposite wall of the skimmer. Theirs does have step jets and they were on when I noticed the port had suction on it. Would that one have been for the jets? The 1 skimmer they have didn't seem to have any suction when the step jets were on.

10. Back To Top    #10

I'm not sure if this helps much, but this is how I plumbed mine. As you can see, the finished product ended up a bit different than the design, but sketching it out will help you get a better grasp on valve placement, union placement, etc. Keep in mind, I am a DIY'er, not a pool pro.

34,000 gal., 20x40 Roman, IG Steel/Vinyl, 500# Hayward Sand Filter, 2HP Ecostar-VS, Savi Note LEDs, Autopilot Digital 220 SWG

11. Back To Top    #11

nice drawing thats what i was going to recomend http://www.howibuiltmyownpool.com/modul ... mps_valves

12. Back To Top    #12

Thank you for that! I've actually studied yours also! Can you tell me why the check valve is needed?

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by gmmastertech1
    Thank you for that! I've actually studied yours also! Can you tell me why the check valve is needed?
    I didnt install it. My thought was to keep prime on the pump when turned off or cleaning the strainer basket and what not. It hasn't been an issue without it, plus I didnt really have room for it. I will install one whenever I get around to installing a heater to protect it. Good luck!
    34,000 gal., 20x40 Roman, IG Steel/Vinyl, 500# Hayward Sand Filter, 2HP Ecostar-VS, Savi Note LEDs, Autopilot Digital 220 SWG

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by janthony
    Quote Originally Posted by gmmastertech1
    I didnt install it. My thought was to keep prime on the pump when turned off or cleaning the strainer basket and what not. It hasn't been an issue without it, plus I didnt really have room for it. I will install one whenever I get around to installing a heater to protect it. Good luck!
    I read where the check valve is needed so you don't get high levels of chlorine back flowing into the heater from the chlorinator.
    8200 Gal. AGP 12'x 24'x 54" Sharkline Oceanic - Hayward 1.5 Single Speed Pump - Hayward D.E. Filter