Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pipes

1. Back To Top    #1

As I stated in an earlier post today my PB will be starting my project soon. They are planning to use 2 inch suction lines on floor drain and both skimmers all plumbed individually. They are planning to use 1.5 inch for all 4 pool returns, 2 deck jets and rock water fall for a total of 7 indivually plumbed return lines. All suction and returns are Sch 40 PVC. Should I request that the returns for everything but the deck jets be upgraded to 2 inch?

Set up is 20x40 freeform pool approx 28,000 gallons, two deck jets, one rock waterfall, Pentair IC 40, Pentair VS pump, Pentair Quad 80 Filter.

Thanks in advance.
    24,000 gallon vinyl, 2 main drains, 2 skimmers, 4 returns, 2 inch pipe suction, 1.5 inch return. Pentair VS pump, Pentair IC-40 SWG, Pentair SD-80 filter. TF-100.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Pipes

If they are all separate, then no need for larger than 1.5" pipe ... likely could actually get by with smaller on all of them since likely all the flow will never be going through only one line.

You would only want to consider bigger if the 4 returns were in a loop together.
    That said, my pool has the 4 return lines on a single 1.5" pipe loop ... no problems. But, would be nice if I could adjust the flow from each one like you will be able to.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mexico, MO

Since they are running individual lines, 1-1/2" will be plenty big enough.

Hydraulically speaking, your PB has it right using 2" for the suction lines. Doing this reduces the suction head, allowing better flow to the pump, which then doesn't have to work hard to pull the water in.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Ashford, CT

Sounds good to me.

I do like screw in fittings on the pool returns 1.5 inch for screw in winter plugs and return eyes.
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro