Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding DE after EACH backwash while shocking?

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding DE after EACH backwash while shocking?

Quote from TYGSBIASO sticky: "DE filters will often need to be backwashed a couple of times a day for the first day or two."

Does that mean I have to add 12 scoops of DE medium (my normals) each time I backwash? That's a lot of DE. Just want to make sure.

BTW, shocking pool for first time in 4 years! Never had a bit of algae until this week
    39,000 gal 48 x 22 gunite/pebble, SWG
    Pentair Intelliflo
    Jandy Aqualink RS; Jandy 60 DE Filter
    Polaris 280 Black "Manta Baby"
    3 Jandy WaterColors LEDs

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding DE after EACH backwash while shocking?

Yes. You can not run water through the filter without DE for more than a few minutes (especially when the water is dirty) or you will clog up the grids with debris.

Is 12 scoops the recommended weight? After a backwash you usually only want to use about 80% of the recommended amount since the backwash is not that thorough:
    use-and-care-for-de-filters-t4086.html
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Have to add if you backwash to have something to catch the rest.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

I would say you only need to backwash if you are getting the pressure increase that justify the backwash that removes your DE. I have a Hayward that can be bumped to "re-generate". It redistributes the DE so the pressure go back down. I have not truly "backwashed" my filter. I take it apart and clean it. The need to completely dump and re-fill only happen if you are filtering a "swamp" with a DE.

I have good luck if I shut the pump off, let the algae and junk sink to the floor of the pool and then vacuum to waste.

that said, I have had to change the DE several times in a day IF the swamp needs to be cleared. Yes, it took a whole bag of DE to do this but DE is relatively cheap (relative to other filter media costs)
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

The company that installed my pool instructed me to add 12 scoops of DE after each backwash. If I can get by with less, I'd be happy.

I don't have a swamp. Just algae growing on the walls a little bit. Had my nephews in town last week; despite the outdoor bathroom, not sure they ever used it.
    My test results this morning:

FC 4
    CC 0
    CYA 60
    Ph 7.4 (lowered for shocking)

Added bleach and am waiting to test again. TPC recommended a shock value of 18ppm. Will brush the walls in about an hour.
    Pentair Intelliflo
    3 Jandy WaterColors LEDs

6. Back To Top    #6

I would highly suggest you weigh the DE yourself ... there can be quite a variation in the amount of DE mass fits in a container depending on how well you pack it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, so I need 6 lbs, according to the manual. The manual says nothing about adding less for a backwash; in fact, it refers back to the chart in the start up section. Can I get away with 4.8 lbs?
    Pentair Intelliflo
    3 Jandy WaterColors LEDs

8. Back To Top    #8

I looked at the instructions for Jandy DEV 60 and it appears they assume you back wash the filter 1-5 times until 100% of old DE is washed out of the filter.

I guess is depends on how clean the backwash made the filter.

I find I am happier just opening the filter and cleaning the grids (fingers in my case) with a hose before rebuilding the filter and adding a 100% charge that I know is 100% clean. It only takes me 30 minutes of so to do this. I do NOT have the same filter.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100