long time owner, but I am stumped...

awp17

Jul 2, 2013
First post to the forum so I figured I would start this thread here. So I have had a pool for about 9 years or so, Bought it with the house. Over the years have learned many things. I joined the forum recently to look at new builds as we are considering building a new house and after having a pool I cant live with out it, but I want to make it more of the dream pool than this one currently is (want more toys lol)

But I am running in to a problem with my current pool.

Im not sure if this matters but I replaced the liner about 8 years ago and its starting to show age, its loosing its color in spots and starting to pull away from the coping. Its not leaking however so I haven't worried about it as it seems more cosmetic. IM trying to decide whether to be nice to the new owners and put a new one in, or just keep it holding until I close this november.

Anyway on to the problem. Im sure a set of test numbers are needed and I will get those tomorrow as I just shocked it today.

Im constantly battling algae, And this year has been the most trouble I have ever had with this pool, over the past three years the water has been getting more and more irritating to take care of. For the first 5 years, poured bleach in, kept the filter running and boom clean water all the time.

The water is always crystal clear, I can see the bottom (except when I brush) But I'm constantly having algae grow on the sides and bottom of the pool. The cycle has been, see green, shock, brush, vacuums and be done, then 5 days later repeat.

My pool is a standard 20x40 vinyl liner pool. Intelliflo svrs and Quad De 100 sq ft filter were just put in maybe 2 years ago (original equipment before that and figured it was getting harder to keep because the equipment was aging so I had it replaced then, helped at first, but now its not doing anything but making life difficult). I have no main drain, so water circulation IM sure isnt the best. However I do have a jet about 3 feet below the surface blowing at the deep end, and just last week realized it was clogged and today just got it going again so maybe that will help. Then three other returns One on either side of the pool pointing at a skimmer (however I keep them pointed down) and one in the steps. I also have an automatic cleaner that runs on its own pump that works over time to get this green stuff off the walls. But lately its been so bad it cant keep up with out needing its bag cleaned twice a cycle.

Im also having to twice a month take the cartridges out and clean them. I usually only have to do it twice a season. I understand this post is all but useless with out a set of test numbers. But hoping to get some idea of what it may be, and I will have a set of numbers tomorrow after the shock wears out.

Also one more thing, the pool has been very warm and im having a very hard time keeping it below 90 ( i dont have a heater), and it gets full sun so im sure that eats away at chlorine very quickly. I am adding cya (might have too much in there now though, which may be combatting the shocking treatment). IM self employed so I can be home to watch it, But I cant watch it 24/7, but its no different than it has been for the past 9 years so not sure why now all of a sudden its so annoying.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

You need to find out what the CYA level is .. adjust to 30-50ppm as required. What you are describing as "shocking" is not what we recommend. If you maintain adequate chlorine, you never have to do what you describe. But, once algae starts, you have to SLAM the pool. [slam:2iyein6s][/slam:2iyein6s]

We recommend cleaning the filters when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.

My only guess is you CYA has gotten elevated due to whatever you are calling "shock" and now you are not maintaining a high enough FC based on that CYA level: pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

And read the rest of Pool School if you have not found it already. That will also show you the test kits with the FAS-DPD test that we recommend.

Sounds like you're living on the edge of algae bloom that you just are barely staying in front of it becoming full blown war. Post us up a full set of test reults. Shouldn't have added cya if you don't know what it was. See pool school on how to SLAM your pool.

Yep, hard to add to the above, but you came to the right place. We will help you line yourself out in no time and you can quit fighting that battle every five days. Check out Pool School and read about CYA and chlorine relationships. That will be the first thing we are all looking at in your pool with this issue at hand. Read about the SLAM process and you will find out that it isn't an event. When you "shocked" it before, you just didn't get a complete kill. Next, invest in a good test kit. There is no better value than the TF 100 or the TF 50. It will be the best thing you ever did for yourself and your pool. Update us, and let us know how it goes.

Welcome to the forum. :goodjob:

went ahead and got a set of numbers tonight because I was bored and wanted some peace from the organized chaos that is my house lol.

anyway im very surprised by the clorine results as I just did a major shock (like double recommended for my gallons) not more than 2 hours ago. Im using a taylor k2000 test kit btw.

FC 2.0 PPM
TC 4.0 PPM
PH 7.2
ak 60-70. it went a very light shade of red after 6 drops but 7 made it go a little deeper.
CH 220-230
CYA from waist level viewing 40-50

Currently the water is very clear I just backwashed and put fresh D.E. in, then sent the cleaner out with a clean container to do its thing since the chorine is apparently in safe levels for it to be swimming. But im sure tomorrow I will wake up to more alge on the sides.

You have something growing in the pool with a CC level of 2.0. If your CYA level really is 50 you need to raise your FC level to at least 16 (shock level) and keep it there. SLAM = shock level and maintain.

You need to maintain shock level until the CC level is below 0.5, and you can pass an OCLT.

Did you read the links in my first post? Given the large drop in FC and the fact that you appear to have high CC, you need to follow the SLAM process ... and to do that, you need to have the FAS-DPD chlorine test.

jblizzle said:
Did you read the links in my first post? Given the large drop in FC and the fact that you appear to have high CC, you need to follow the SLAM process ... and to do that, you need to have the FAS-DPD chlorine test.
I guess I just more so glanced through it.

I will follow it more throughly now that we have the problem nailed down. Thanks for the help!

forgive my ignorance but the chlorine test. Mine is the one where I fill up a double tubed plastic thing that one side reads Clorine and the other PH, then add drops and match the color. Is this the proper test kit?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.