Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter Choice

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter Choice

PB is about to start my project shortly and I have to make a choice on my filter.

Pentair SD80 with clear pro

or

Pentair Quad 60 Cartridge/DE filter.

or

Pentair Quad 80 Cartridge/DE filter.

My pool is going to be about 20 x 40 free form approx 28,000 gallons with a small waterfall and two deck jets. The setup includes the Pentair VS pump and IC 40 system with easy touch controls.

Any thoughts or recommendations?
    24,000 gallon vinyl, 2 main drains, 2 skimmers, 4 returns, 2 inch pipe suction, 1.5 inch return. Pentair VS pump, Pentair IC-40 SWG, Pentair SD-80 filter. TF-100.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filter Choice

We would recommend for your 28000 gallon pool as minimums:
    5.2 sq. ft. sand filter
    416 sq. ft. cartridge filter
    78 sq. ft. DE filter
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Just to expand on the specs above...the SD80 is too small for your pool. A better choice would be the Tagelus TA100D or the Triton TR100, though both of those are just slightly smaller than the minimum listed above...they should still work. afaik, there a no pentair filters with "clear pro" technology that are large enough for your pool. In addition, I have not heard much in the way of clear advantages/differences to filters with the "clear pro" technology.

As for the DE filters, the quad 80 should be a good fit for your pool.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

What he said
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks guys. Will contact PB tomorrow and see what they are going to hit me for to upgrade to the Pentair Quad 80.
    24,000 gallon vinyl, 2 main drains, 2 skimmers, 4 returns, 2 inch pipe suction, 1.5 inch return. Pentair VS pump, Pentair IC-40 SWG, Pentair SD-80 filter. TF-100.

6. Back To Top    #6

fyi...from what I can see online, they are about $220 dollars different (~$610 verses ~$830).