Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Staining from Trichlor puck?

1. Back To Top    #1

Staining from Trichlor puck?

I have several stains in the bottom of my pool. All of them start at about 3" round and have a comet like tail heading toward the main drain. This is obviously where someone in the past has tossed trichlor pucks directly into the pool. What kind of stain would this be? I would expect to see pitting (and do) but not staining. Any ideas?
    ~16.5Kgal free form plaster with spill over spa
    1 1/2 HP Pentair SuperFlo pump, 1 HP Polaris QT Spa Blower, Pentair 48sqft DE Filter, PoolPilot Digital Nano+ SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Staining from Trichlor puck?

What color is plaster? What color is stain?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

White plaster, brownish stains mostly. Around some of the clearly defined round area there is a blueish tint
    1 1/2 HP Pentair SuperFlo pump, 1 HP Polaris QT Spa Blower, Pentair 48sqft DE Filter, PoolPilot Digital Nano+ SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

3 inches, brownish stains with a bluish outlining tint? I could be wrong of course, but I wonder if someone dropped 3 inch pucks that contained copper down there, like the HTH super-guard or whatever name they go by this year. Maybe test for metal stains?
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson
    3 inches, brownish stains with a bluish outlining tint? I could be wrong of course, but I wonder if someone dropped 3 inch pucks that contained copper down there, like the HTH super-guard or whatever name they go by this year. Maybe test for metal stains?
    Exactly my thoughts, too.

Do you have some dry acid? You could put some in a sock, dip it in pool/hold it on the stain for a couple minutes and see if it clears.
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

I think you guys just nailed it. I wasn't aware of pucks that contained copper. They became more pronounced when I SLAMmed the pool. Isn't this consistent with copper as well?

7. Back To Top    #7

Yep. It appears the previous owner did use copper containing tabs.

Raising the FC to high levels, or allowing the pH to get high will cause metals to fall out of solution and deposit on the pool surface.

8. Back To Top    #8

This guy was way too generous. He left me with triple digit CYA, mustard algae, a plumming leak, and now copper as well. I wish I had tested for copper. I would have drained the pool completely instead of just reducing the CYA and then SLAMming.

Some people don't deserve a pool. Too lazy to even use a floater!

9. Back To Top    #9

You might want to go to a Poo... Pool... Pool St... (such a dirty word, I can't even say it) and get your pool tested for copper. I think they usually get that test right. Have you already drained and refilled to lower the CYA? If so, that would have lowered your copper level, too.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

10. Back To Top    #10

I dropped it down to 45. There was no way I could do a mustard SLAM with triple digit CYA. I never did actually make it all the way to mustard levels. I had to hold at about 75% for a longer time frame. It's super tough to hold a pool at 40ppm FC. It's likely what caused the copper to make an appearance. Nice to know that the partial drain might have saved me even more staining.

I'm due for a replaster so I may do a full drain in the off season and get a nice shiny white finish and a fresh batch of water.

11. Back To Top    #11

Seems that no one ever follows the proper procedure for mustard algae ... did you read this:
    pool-school/mustard_algae

You are only supposed to elevate above normal shock level after you pass the 3 criteria that say you are done. Then elevate the FC for a day after that.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL

12. Back To Top    #12

An hour ago I would have told you I did, but that is not the process I followed. I used more chlorine than I had to but the mustard algae is still gone.