Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward's DE filter will not vent air/water

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward's DE filter will not vent air/water

My Hayward de filter air pressure relief valve will not release air or water. It turns but the flow of air/water is not there. Any suggestions on how to fix or does it just need to be replaced?
    40k Pebble Pool with Spa Spillover
    (2) Hayward Pro-grid 6020 DE filters
    (2) Hayward pumps 1.5 hp, 1.60 sf, 2.4 thp
    Hayward H series
    TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward's DE filter will not vent air/water

Unscrew it from the top of the filter and use a tooth pick to clean out the gunk that has built up in the small opening( happens to me alot!!!)
    Nathan
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyGuy
    Unscrew it from the top of the filter and use a tooth pick to clean out the gunk that has built up in the small opening( happens to me alot!!!)
    I have tried to unscrew the top, does not seem to want to budge any suggestions? I had a sand filter that came with a tool.
    Hayward H series
    TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

The relief valve will unscrew independently from the filter top, if I understand what you are saying.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    The relief valve will unscrew independently from the filter top, if I understand what you are saying.
    My luck with plastic, is it usually breaks.
    I will try again. The instructions say to remove the entire top to twist counterclockwise , using the flats. Do you know if it is couterclockwise?
    Hayward H series
    TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Can you post a picture of the valve assembly?
    Nathan

7. Back To Top    #7

If it is a top mount pressure relief valve to remove it you turn it counter clockwise
    Nathan

8. Back To Top    #8

http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manu...rid-DExx20.pdf

Were you looking to take just the MAR off, or the whole lid assemble to the filter? I think you could take the clamp band off the belly of the filter, lift the lid off and then reach inside and clean out the bottom of the gauge. I think the removal of the MAR is uncommon and it requires a very large wrench.

I don't have this filter but another Hayward DE. I do not have a MAR.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

I have one on top of my Hayward DE filter and it is also clogged I think. It used to shoot air out and then really shoot water out with force. The air still comes out when I have it open but only a trickle of water comes out.
    I am afraid that if I break it we are in big trouble. My pool guy is so busy I have no idea when he could get here. He is redoing everyone's pools and equipment after Sandy and is reportedly swamped. Anyone who flooded lost all their equipment and many pools had damage
    We didn't flood, we only had a really really full pool.
    Should it be easy to turn and I am assuming that I would do this with the filter off. I read somewhere that if you don't do it right you can wind up with it flying into the air.
    I wish I was a little more daring with this stuff. I just hate to break it.
    Built in October 2011, 16 x 26 x 20 L shaped vinyl IG steel wall pool, Hayward DE pro grid verticle filter 4800 pool, Hayward two speed superpump, 120,000 BTU Pentair Ultra Temp Heat Pump, Aqua Rite Salt system, 8' wide walk out steps, 2 skimmers, 4 returns, 2 main drains, 500 watt underwater light, intermatic mechanical timer

10. Back To Top    #10

Are you willing to release the belly band? The big black metal one. It's a 3/4 inch socket wrench that's required. Remove the bolt and spring, remove the clamp (tap on it to make it loosen up) and then take the head of the filter off. I have heard some people turn the pump on for a second to loosen the lid. My lid/head comes off pretty easily but is a little heavy.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

If it were me I think I would just open the vent with the pump off and shoot a little compressed air in to clean it out.
    17x37 IG vinyl, Grecian style, 20k gal, Hayward DE4800, Hayward Super Pump II 1 hp, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator, 6 Vortex 4x10 solar panels, Aquabot Turbo, Dolphin M5, loop-loc mesh cover

12. Back To Top    #12

Here is a picture of mine. I have taken lid off many times to service de filters, just thought top would come off by itself. I will try some compressed air too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hayward H series
    TF-100 test kit

13. Back To Top    #13

That small piece with the integral red handle should just unscrew. Page 10 of the manual techguy linked to shows it as a separate piece. Don't lose the O-ring.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

14. Back To Top    #14

O.k. So the vent can be separated from the rest of the unit, BUT the "wing nut" will fall into filter, luckily top comes off and wing nut was on top of filter.
    Cleaned out, and replaced, including the o ring, I lost somewhere. I had it but it must have come off one of the many times I had to reseat the whole thing, trying to get a tight fit.
    Hayward H series
    TF-100 test kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Good to hear your making headway on it. Stinks about the oring though
    Nathan