Hotel Worker, curious about hotels indoor pool

Are you sure your doing the CYA test right, many people read it backwards the first time doing the test, 0 would mean the sample stays clear with the view tube full of the shaken 50/50 mix of pool water with CYA reagent R-0013.

You need a test for salt level to know how much needs to be added, once you have that you can feed the numbers to pool calculator and it will tell you. You can buy pool salt at any of the big box hardware stores, or you can use water softener salt as long as it is pure sodium chloride, it just may not dissolve as fast.

I was talking about this photo....

file.php

Unless they are backwashing an hour a day with make-up water, i am going to guess the CYA is 300+, just guessing. But... that is very dangerous.

FrontDeskClerk said:
I assume, assume backwashing takes place.
If they are backwashing a lot everyday then I suppose that would be enough to deplete the CYA. It seems unlikely but given how that pool looks it wouldn't surprise me if "Henry" there just switches to backwash and goes and grabs a sandwich while it runs for a half hour. It would certainly remove the salt though since that isn't being replaced, so if that measures zero I won't be surprised.

I agree with the earlier poster that this is a public pool and a lot of what is taught on this site doesn't apply. I don't mean that the TFP method is not based on science or tried & true but it may go against what the local authority having jurisdiction mandates. This is a public swimming pool and needs someone knowledgeable and qualified operating it. This example is why I will not swim in a hotel pool. Sorry if this sounds harsh but this is a public safety issue. Each of us can, and will, operate our pools as we see fit but it is a whole different story when the pool is accessible to the public and you have to answer to a governmental agency.

This is going to be a real pain until people responsibilities are clearly defined ... if you have multiple people trying to take care of the pool, it is going to get confusing.

The pool likely needs to be shut down for at least a week and cleared up ... hard to say what the chemical costs would be, but what is the alternative? Clearly what is happening now is not working.

The only thing is the jurisdiction for public pools is usually a limit on the CYA and FC levels while the pool is open. And since CYA is clearly being used, apparently that may not be applicable here.

Did you guys even look at the test/action log, they have never had more than .5 FC, usually 0, they add shock once a week and backwash daily. I wouldn't go in that pool on a bet. You need to look up what the public pool requirements are for your state/area, the backwashing is probably required, as is the weekly shock (and the log stating you did that), but those numbers are way unhealthy. There is probably no written requirements for salt pools which is why they aren't testing salt levels or supplementing FC with bleach when FC falls below a minimum value.

That pool needs fixing asap, but you have to do it within the framework of the existing municipal regulations for public pools.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Shouldn't be too difficult to look up the codes for public pools. Your best bet is to look them up and put together a plan which includes the local codes and add additional policies and prodecures (which do not violate local codes) to create a healthy pool, then take that to your GM, no manager likes employees coming to them with problems unless they also have a solution.

What state are you in. It will help us find local guidelines.

almost EVERY code says if you can't see the drain it should be closed. Can you see the drain at the bottom of the pool??

I try to not make controversial remarks on any forum but this thread is really bothering me. I am a professional engineer who has been involved with the design of natatoriums (pool buildings) and I know the requirements for public pools in my local area. I don't know where this pool is located but I have to surmise that the local governmental agency has similar requirements. I feel that this forum needs to stick to personal pools where each of us makes the decision to follow the TFP methodology and it only affects our family and friends. Once the public is thrown into the mix, that is an entirely different story and outside the scope of this forum.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.