Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: caulk OK ?

1. Back To Top    #1

caulk OK ?

I have a similar problem with an additional complication: The crack fills with dirt that appears to be extruding into the pool from behind the tiles. I can clean out the dirt but appears within a few days. Leads me to think there could be some worm or bug burrowing but I have never seen one. I plan to use a hose to jet the crack, allow to dry and then caulk with silicone.
    There are various brands of 100% silicone caulk at Lowes/Home Depot: GE, DAP, DuPont, 3M. Does anyone have a recommendation as to brand?
    Thanks,
    8k gal, IG, plaster, Sta Rite PXC 125 sqft cartridge filter, Pentair 320 inline chlorine feed, Sta Rite 1.5HP pump
    Pool is in Vero Beach, FL - I am in Houston, Texas

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: caulk OK ?

Polyurethane caulk is probably better for that application but it is also much harder to work with as it is NOT cleaned up with water. I doubt Brand matters whichever type you choose.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Always use rubbing alcohol for cleanup or smoothing, in place of water, when using pure silicon caulk. I keep a red solo cup about halfway full whenever im caulking with pure clear silicone. Silicone latex is easy peasy water cleanup, but doesnt have the same flexability or protection as siliconized latex. Poly i can't speak for.

4. Back To Top    #4

Tape can be your friend when working with caulk. Tape off the areas where you do not want caulk and remove it while the caulk is still wet.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks to all. After reviewing the choices I have decided to go with the polyurethane sealant. Taping off prior is a good idea as is having a solvent at the ready. Again, thanks for the advice.
    8k gal, IG, plaster, Sta Rite PXC 125 sqft cartridge filter, Pentair 320 inline chlorine feed, Sta Rite 1.5HP pump
    Pool is in Vero Beach, FL - I am in Houston, Texas