Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Am I odd that I think a ph of closer to 7.8 is ideal?

1. Back To Top    #1

Am I odd that I think a ph of closer to 7.8 is ideal?

I've been noticing something this year. When I have the ph down closer to the target of 7.5 the water dries my skin more. If I let ph slowly rise to 7.8 ish the water has a better feel both in and out of the water once the skin dries. I have a virtually constant FC level that I micro treat every day, but I do the acid balance 2x a week.

Is this normal? It's a very slight observation. Also, this is the first year I've done borates. I didn't notice this effect prior to adding borates.
    15000 Gal Pool + Spa - Twin 2hp Pentair Pumps - DE Filter - 400kbtu Heater - Jandy wireless control system with freeze out - Polaris 3900 pressure side cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Am I odd that I think a ph of closer to 7.8 is ideal?

I would say it is all because of the borates instead of pH. I certainly can't say I've ever noticed any differences in the feel of differing pH in that range.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Others have reported higher pH is more comfortable.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Our pool was "trouble free" for 6-7 years and we always ran at a higher pH. Our water naturally tends to go that way and I suspect I run into more trouble fighting it.
    24' round/52" deep Leisure Bay AG est. 13.5k gallons
    Hayward TS180 Sand Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Generally, acceptable range for pH is 7.2 - 7.8. I don't personally detect any difference in the water as long as I stay within that range.

If the higher pH seems better to you, it's fine for it to be there but you don't want it to slip up to 8.0 or higher as some other complications can occur.

We suggest a pH of 7.4 - 7.6 as a starting point and that seems to be ideal for most people.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I would have to say I also prefer a higher pH. I actually think I can tell, without even doing the test, when my pH drops below 7.4. Just by feeling the water. So no, I don't think you are odd.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.