AGP Deck Build

AprilNC

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
The pool is up, water is crystal clear ... time for the deck ... we have scaffolding set up to get in and out of the pool at the moment ... The deck will be approximately 16'x16' when finished. Our old "stoop" was only about 5'x5' so not really enough to be called a deck and I did a little cheer when we demo'd it this weekend!

We only have weekends to work on it - so it will take a couple more before it is finished. This past weekend was demo, lumber purchase, start of the framing, and digging footings.

(This is the "temporary" stair nonsense!)

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    405.2 KB · Views: 490
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    394.1 KB · Views: 486
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    467.9 KB · Views: 485
Yes - I am a bit terrified that someone will forget that there is no where to set when opening the back door! We are using the front for now. The cat is really confused though =)

We aren't planning for the deck to go all around the pool ... we may change our mind after this is completed, but for now we are just accounting for easy entry into the pool.

Good luck on your deck. Pool looks great. Hope it all goes well for you. Our township had so many rules and regulations 37 pages to be exact, that my husband was about to go crazy. It is finally almost finished and we have been using a temporary locking ladder, again a regulation. I am so glad to be almost past it. Enjoy your pool and your deck!

I haven't decided about gating the stairs yet ... I think I might put a gate at the top of the stairs instead of the bottom of the stairs, as well as a gate that swings across the opening to the pool. I also plan on getting some of the fencing that attaches to the posts of the AGP and go up 24 inches - we don't really need it for code since the walls of the AGP are 48", but the boys keep throwing balls out of the pool when playing basketball ... and that would cut down on the grass ... and the "mom can you get the ball"

We finished digging the holes for the footings and installed those with concrete. We have one more post that goes next to the pool - but the footing for it will not be dug since we don't want to risk disturbing the ground under the pool. Then we just need to finish 3 joists and a little bit more framing and we can move on to the decking boards and then the stairs and handrail. Hopefully we will be done in 2 more weekends.

Be careful about fencing all the way around the pool unless you leave a walkway around the pool - not jus pool ledge. In our old pool we had that. It did help keep balls in but made maintenance harder because you couldn't just reach in and putting a cover on the pool and taking it off was torture. You sound like you have a more lenient code. In our area if you don't have a self locking gateon every entrance to the pool at least 54 inches high from the top step or deck top you must install alarms on every door and gate on your property that leads to the pool. It has to be as loud as a smoke alarm and ring for at least 30 seconds. This is whether you have any children on the property or not. My husband is wondering why I ever told the township we were adding a deck!

Ah - We will have a gate to the pool area and I've already considered a gate alarm also - The deck is not going to be just open to the pool there all of the time. I thought you were talking about the actual deck codes. My hubby actually works in construction and it is his job to go and check things before inspections are called to make sure it will pass ... So, it is kind of second nature for him to just build things that exceed code requirements. We actually decided to go with some of the commercial codes versus residential codes for handrails and such - we decided that after several trips we have taken where the handrails were so flimsy that it made us nervous to let our kids out on the decks.

We have folks that live down the road that put in an IGP 2 years ago and still doesn't have a fence around it ... it makes me nervous every time I drive by - especially because they have young children.

Several years ago I made hubby hop a fence at our old house to rescue a dog from a neighbors pool ... They had taken down the fence to the back yard to make it easier to get their lawnmower back there ... We don't know who's the dog was - but the poor girl was swimming around and around trying to find a way out.

Your enthusiasm is wonderful and infectious. Great fun for all us TFP'rs to share with you. Take a bit of advice from a lifetime builder however: summon the courage and patience (and find the money) to take that deck all the way around your pool. It will add immeasurably to your enjoyment. No need to do it all the first season, just keep an eye toward continuing later.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The deck plans have changed quite a bit from when we first started digging and leveling for the pool in April - from all the way around, to along the back, to half the end ... and then when we put the pool up, my hubby (who didn't want a pool at all!) says "The next one is going in the ground" ... So, we revised the deck to be smaller and decided to live with it for this summer and next summer ... and then decide if we want to expand the deck, or if we really want to go for an inground.

At this point though ... I'm just tired from screwing down deck boards ... whew!

Deck is nice.... As for being tired from screwing down deck boards you cannot believe what a difference using an impact driver and torx deck screws. My wife and girls got me one for fathers day.

Oh absolutely! I have a new appreciation for the little impact driver that hubby got me for Christmas! We are fairly ambitious DIYers and this is the first project that I have gotten to use it.

All the deck boards except 2 are down now ... ran out of screws ... I'm gonna try to start installing handrail tomorrow ... but not sure I can do that by myself =)

In the 6 years we have lived here we have built a 16x20 workshop for me ... a 30x40 barn for hubby ... poured a concrete patio (8.75 yards) ... not to mention the painting, flower beds, gardens, planting trees ... I keep telling him that I am too old for this digging mess .. putting up the 30 foot flag pole was the most comical DIY project.

I'm ready for the Oasis part of this project ... and a massage!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.