Test kits in the UK

bof

May 17, 2013
Cyprus
Hi all
I have been looking for suitable test kits in the UK :crazy: and have found HTTP://www.pro-swim.co.uk they supply LOVIBOND TEST KITS and PALINTEST TEST KITS, their is no minimum order but their is a delivery charge for orders under £500. I am going for the SP620 Cyanuric Acid Kit at £16. Palintest have a min order of £50 but if you go for the SP315C this costs £55.70.

Hope this helps the UK members. :lol:
My apologies if this has been mentioned before. :wink:

FAS-DPD Test Kit is available directly from Palintest in the UK (It is a UK company after all!) there's just not much demand for it because 1) we don't have much sun so don't use much CYA based chlorine products or 2) most pools are indoors and the teachings on this side of the pond have been to not use CYA in indoor pools (I'm not arguing it's rights and wrongs here however.). See below for a comprehensive list of worthy considerations for testing your pool in the UK.

Stu

Stuamurr wrote:
My experience of Water Testing in the UK;

PHOTOMETERS
Palintest photometers are probably the best in the market, but refilling your re-agent tablets is extremely expensive. Pooltest 9 Premier has a XT DPD Range test which measures 0-10ppm FC/CC, most other Palintest photometers have a Chlorine HR Test ability which measures FC upto 250ppm. I myself now have the Palintest 7100 Photometer which is great apart from the re-agent prices - wish I had a Lovibond MD200 6in1. 250 Palintest alkaphot tablets for example will set you back £44.55 + VAT and Shipping.

Lovibond - Similar prices to Palintest for Photometers but one crucial difference - the cost of re-agents is massively lower, making it the favorite Photometer in the UK amongst Pool Professionals, good availability of re-agents also. MD200 Range has both 0.01-6ppm FC and 0.1-10ppm FC test, big drawback is no ability for testing FC above 6 or 10ppm in most pool photometers.

FAS-DPD DROP KITS
Palintest sells the FAS-DPD drop test kit SP300(£33.40) or SP400(£36.20)(With Oxystop) direct minimum order value with palintest is £50net (VAT & Postage to add)

COMPARATORS
Lovibond is the market leader with the Lovibond 2000 and Checkit Comparators, both only test chlorine in the 1-5 and 1-4ppm range respectively.

Best place I can find to buy any Lovibond products in the UK is Leisureteq.co.uk a commercial supplier. I cannot find any decent suppliers for Palintest products cept direct supply from them.

I can list some suppliers that I have experienced for chemicals and testing equipment.

http://www.swimmingpoolchemicals.co.uk/index.php
Supplies chemicals with next day delivery, in my experience their prices are very good and delivery costs and expidited time is low
They also stock certain photometer and comparator re-agents which claim to be compatible with other manufacturers devices, although up until now I have yet to buy any and try.

http://www.leisureteq.co.uk/
Good for Lovibond testing equipment & re-agents (UK Preferred devices) and for chemicals, but delivery cept for small items is £15, they have a comprehensive range of equipment, spares and supply many local authorities in the UK.

http://www.camlabworld.com/palintest-re ... c3637.aspx
Camlab is a good supplier of Palintest Re-agents, which are normally not available anywhere else (Chlorine HR/XT Re-agents etc)
I have used them for HR tablets.

http://www.pool-chem.co.uk/catalogsearc ... =palintest
Another supplier of palintest re-agents, which prices seem reasonable.

Hello Stuamurr

Thanks for the info. I contacted palintest and their sales lady said that the sp300 is not available because of lack of demand and the kit is now unavailable in the U S
Their is a new tester from lovibond for 100 to 150 quid called the Scuba 2 which sounds the bees knees but I have had no dealings with this item.

Lovibond Scuba is a mini photometer, and not really worth it's weight as it still only measures FC and TC using DPD, so the range is not that high. I would urge anyone considering it to strongly think about an MD range instead for the extra they are far superior products. Shame Palintest have ceased the FAS-DPD test kit, but that's the UK for you!

BBB chems are available in the supermarket domestos is usually the strongest bleach available, borates are not available in off the shelf products as the EU in their infinite wisdom have classified them as reproductive poisons and are therefore restricted. If you live in a Soft water area you are better using Calcium Hypochlorite as it is cheap, effective and carries the CH needed for Tiled pools, in the Midlands and South of England (ie Hard Water areas) you are cheaper usually sourcing Sodium Hypochlorite from suppliers as it usually (along with most other chems) works out cheaper

OK thanks Stuart.
My pool turned green last week I suppose because of all the unusual hot weather we have had and I took my eye off the ball with the chlorine level. So I have shocked the pool but have TD reading at 0 and PH at less than 6.4. I have ordered some borax from ebay which should come today. Any other advise you could give would be great.

I know this post is old now but after doing a lot of searching i bought a The Palintest SP 315C kit from http://leisuresafetytraining.com/store/index.php/ i spoke with Colin who was very helpfull ,He can also order the Palintest FAS-DPD kit and can ship anywhere (got mine sent to Thailand ) with some good discounts .I am i no way connected with tthis company i just like to pass on good contacts when they go out of there way to be helpful hope this helps other people :)

I know not about the Palintest kit but just so others know, I'm in Australia (down under!) and was able to get a TF-100 test kit sent through a forwarder in he US (I used Shipito). Once the goods were at its address it's taken about 7-8 days and should arrive this week. Cost wise for me it was about US$50 shipping but if you get extra reagents at the same time it's not too bad. Some pool shops sell DPD test kits here for AUD$120-140 that cover the same tests but aren't drop based and aren't as accurate.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.