Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pH question

1. Back To Top    #1

pH question

I have been slowly lowering my TA but it is still high ~200. Right now I am adding MA about every 3-4 days to drop pH to 7.2 and letting it creep up. I am going on vacation in a few weeks and have someone arranged to check the water and add bleach daily but I don't want to ask that person to add MA.

My question is, what harm will possibly be done to people, the water, or the pool itself if the pH is > 7.8 for a couple days? I don't think I have metals in my water. Is calcium staining an issue with vinyl walls??

Thanks!
    June 2013 24 x 52 Sharkline Heritage AGP (13,500 gal), 2 speed 1 hp pump, 150 lb filter(?), TF-100 test kit
    My first pool ever, pool school student with lots of questions

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pH question

I don't think 7.8 would be a problem for a few days. Would possibly irritate your eyes if you went for a swim, but I can't see it being a significant problem short term.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

3. Back To Top    #3

Enjoy your vacation!
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

4. Back To Top    #4

It is possible to develop scale on vinyl liner pools if the conditions are right, but I think it would take longer than a couple of days. If your CYA is low enough (below 50ppm) you can add a couple of trichlor pucks to a floater to help keep the pH down while you are away. How long do you plan to be gone?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd say you have a valid reason to Lower TA
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

You can probably be a little more aggressive in lowering the TA by adding acid more frequently. By the time you leave in a few weeks, the TA should be down to a good level. Try pointing your returns up to break the surface of the water with the return stream to help accelerate the process.

What is your calcium hardness?

7. Back To Top    #7

So am I correct in interpreting that TA will lower faster if I keep my pH consistently on low end? My CH was 300 last Thursday. I did turn my little jet thing so it bubbles up again. I had done that before but then the water circulation didn't work all the leaves and things to the center like it does when jet points to side and I got the frowny face from my hubby.
    June 2013 24 x 52 Sharkline Heritage AGP (13,500 gal), 2 speed 1 hp pump, 150 lb filter(?), TF-100 test kit
    My first pool ever, pool school student with lots of questions

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, your TA will lower faster if you keep your ph lower. Aeration helps to make the ph climb while not raising TA.. if you want to move it faster, that is the way to go.

Doing it over time shouldn't be a problem either. I've never had a problem with scaling and let my ph climb to 7.8, even been as high as 8.2 a few times before bringing it back down. I start out with high TA every summer due to topping off with our well water.

I understand the extra effort in cleaning when the returns don't push the leaves to the center.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits