Our pool has been open for 3 weeks, as we just installed it. It came with the complementary pool frog, set to 3. I started reading this site even before the install was finished, knowing the pool frog wouldn't last long. I ordered the K-2006, and upon its arrival, learned I had 0 chlorine reading in pool, TA of 30, pH of 7.0, 0 CYA. I started by trying to "supplement" the Pool Frog, since I wasn't sure how the frog really worked. My FC levels would drop off pretty quickly every day, never getting more than 2. I bought some stabilizer, added 3/4lb last week, still couldn't detect it. So, after much reading here and pool school, I adjusted the pH and added baking soda to raise the TA, and did SLAM, taking the FC to 10. I also added 1.75 lb stabilizer so that it would help with the chlorine loss. I have been reading <0.4 CC and my FC was 8.2 this am, now is only 1.9, still 0.2 CC, pH 7.4,CH 45, TA now 100. I'm still not sure my exact CYA level. It did finally get faintly cloudy at 30, but I can still see the dot. I've already used one whole CYA reagent bottle. I've read the problems with too much CYA, so I'm worried I'll add too much. I feel the pool frog hasn't done much at all, I've even wondered if they forgot to put in the bacpac. I've turned the frog off.
1. So, is it too soon to expect my CYA to be going up since I just added more yesterday? (It's a granular, instructions said to add to skimmer, seems to have dissolved).
2. Should I add more stabilizer? (I'm going to have to order a reagent refill this week to keep testing unless anyone has other thoughts and how often would you test right now?)
3. Am I done with SLAM since I have no almost no CC? I know the OCLT hasn't been met, but if there's not much yuckies in the pool to kill off and I have little stabilizer,I'm afraid that all I'll do by keeping FC at shock level (10) is get my FC so high we won't be able to swim.
4. There was more rain today and brief hot sunshine, did the sun use it up and the rain dilute it too quickly? I'm really shocked the FC dropped that much today.
5. Does my other levels sound ok?
Thanks in advance!