Green water and getting nowhere

Jul 21, 2013
Alabama
I really need help. Thought I had the problem beat but instead I'm beating my head on a rock.
Pool has been green off and on for weeks now. Started I believe when I entered pool. With tan oil on. Lesson learned.
2nd year with pool.
Water gets clear as I add bleach and settlement falls to bottom and I vacuum. Then it all starts again. After vacuuming,water gets cloudy. I dont believe my water has been completely clear with sparkle all summer. I had gotten to much cya in pool so I raised chlorine to compensate based on pool school calculator.
I finally decided to add another pump. Put an Intex 1900 gph pump in and just ran hoses over side. I have been running this pump about 26 hrs now along with skimmer pump and I don't think I see see much change. I checked filter on new pump and can hardly tell it has been used. I expected to see some discoloration but all I see is a few bugs. Water is flowing great and surface water is moving.
I know I havent been able to stay at shock levels but have kept chlorine at correct levels. Most likely that is the problem. We have had tons of rain so I spend alot of time draining water off.
My cya was originally at 70 but I ran out of test supply 2 days ago. Making a wild guess and know I shouldnt but think cya may be close to 50 now with all the water drain I've done. Will order more test supplies.
Current tests are as follows:
Fc 18
Cc 0
Tc 18
Ph 7.8
Ta 140
Cya 50 ?
Test done with no sun on pool
Test this morning were the same but Fc was 27. Had added bleach last night. App 8 hrs between tests.
I will continue with chlorine as best I can without accurate cya but other than doing that, I'm at a loss as to what to do.
Thanks

Welcome to tfp, nonnatwink :wave:

You would have had to drain a lot of you water to get the cya down to 50 from 70 (~30%). Unless you thing you have done that much, I would continue to assume 70 ppm cya until your reagents come in.

Keep following the SLAM process, and test FC and redose as much as possible so that it does not drop much. At some point when you FC is staying up more, you can do the OCLT.

The number one reason for a pool not clearing when SLAMing is due to not not staying on top of the CL dosing. You have to watch it like a hawk!
Be diligent and committed once you start, stay on it.

Following that, you'll beat it in no time. Filters really can't trap live algae, only once it's dead and dying, will you see the filter start to clog.
Cellulose really speeds up the clearing process too. For those Intex cartridges, those cheap 29c nylons in a plastic egg at Walmart are a huuuuge help. Put 2 "large size" over the cartridge itself, no need to cut holes for the openings. In fact it helps even more because of the poor design that allows water to bypass the filter pleats. Just draw it tight at the toe on alternating ends, 1 toe at each end and you'll be good, evenly distributing the tension across the length of the filter surface, striving for no bunching. They rinse right out too, so they last for weeks, sometimes longer.
Don't even bother placing them over the Intex skimmer, too much bypass.

Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and dosed it again last night to bring to shock level for cya at 70 just to be safe. Water looks much better this morning and I can see down into the pool now.
FC this morning is 27. No sun yet and rain expected again.
I really appreciate the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.