Press which Rising Quickly on Pentair Clean and Clear

Jul 21, 2013
I have a 23K gallon pool, new owner of pool that is having trouble understanding why my pressure gauge keeps rising. (Pentair Clean and Clear 420)Starting is approx 20 PSI but within hours, rises to 30PSI or higher. As a result, the pool cleaner stops moving. When we first had pool installed, starting pressure was about 15PSI. I have cleaned the filters twice in the past two weeks including soaking overnight and rinse throughly with a cartridge filter spray attachment. We have a small, recurring algae issue which seems to resolve but re-occurs when we heat the pool beyond 80 degrees. (Not sure if this has anything to do with it). Anyways, cleaned the filters approximately 3 hours ago and restarted. Pressures were 20 to start. It is now over 30PSI. The pool is a year old so I cannot imagine needing new filters but also don't want to replace filters if not needed.

1HP Pentair Pump
Pentair Clean and Clear 420
Ozone Cleaning
Nature 2

PH 7.2
Chl 1.5
TDS 2400

Thanks for the help!

Welcome to the forum. :lol: Your issue is commonly posted. The filter is doing exactly what it was designed to do.....filter out the debris in your pool. It is clogging quickly because you have a lot of debris....seen or unseen.

The probability that the debris is algae is very high.....you do not have nearly enough chlorine in your pool to prevent it.

The solution is to SLAM the pool. read "SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain" in the How To section of Pool School. You must follow that article precisely and your filter issues will stop....eventually.

Unfortunately, the SLAM process is designed to kill all the remaining organics in your pool so, while you are in the process, the filter is very likely to get clogged even more quickly than now. Eventually, you can go longer and longer between cleaning.

No one here on the forum thinks Nature@ and ozone are a good idea and I believe they have contributed heavily to your problem. That's another subject but your filter issues will come right back if you fail to maintain adequate chlorine and rely on those two to keep your pool clean and sanitary.

You should clean your filter any time you see a 25% rise in psi.

You'll also need a proper test kit for your pool, in order to clear it up and fix your problem.

See my sig for a link to the test kits compared. The link is titled "TF100 Test Kit".

Please fill in your sig as instructed in PS, 1st link, also your location in your profile under user control panel.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.