Fix Mineral Springs or Replace w/Pentair Intellichlor?

ajw22

TFP Expert
Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I have a Mineral Springs SWG installed in 2005 in my 35,000 inground pool. Looks likes the PCB board has gone bad. It shows -pcb- on the display with all lights on. If I pull all power from it it can be reset and operate again but it has failed twice now so it can't be relied on.

Pool company can replace PCB board for around $500. They are recommending I replace the Mineral Springs system with a Pentair Intellichlor system for around $1,000. They say they have less problems with the Pentair system. I know in the 8 years I had the Mineral Springs I replaced the cell once, maybe twice, not sure.

I see where the Pentair Intelliclor has the controls built into the cell and a new cell costs more then the Mineral Springs. If the Pentair will work better and last longer then I would go for it. My rule of thumb is if a repair costs more then 50% of new cost then I go with new. This is right at the edge.

What do those withe experience here say? Repair the Mineral Springs or replace with the IntelliiChlor?

Appreciate your advice.

Allen

Cell is probably around 3 years old. I can't find the receipt for the exact date. It is a Goldline T-15 cell.

Allen

At 3 years you're on the edge. I'd say that replacing the system might be a good idea. Here's what I would do. Since you already have a T cell 15 that has some life left, I'd look at another system that uses that cell and go with it. Then, I'd install the new cell just long enough to make sure that it's good, then I'd install the old cell and store the new one for when the old one fails.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.