Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: white cloud of doom fills the pool when super chlorinating

1. Back To Top    #1

white cloud of doom fills the pool when super chlorinating

Ok maybe not a cloud of doom, but it does fill the pool when super chlorinating. The cloudy water goes away when the operation is complete and the water remains crystal clear when the cloud dissipates.

For 2 years this thing has run with no problem until now. I did clean the salt cell no real build up or change in the cloud. Although, it may have made it worst.

I think the problem is:

My wife was sold algaecide, clarifier, and ph down from the local chain pool store, and started adding them when I was overseas with the Army I have been home about 2 weeks and noticed this cloudy addition since I have been home.

Last year when I was home all I used was salt, and I had to listen to a big lecture from my wife because the poolman told her only and idiot would use salt only in a saltwater pool.

She added these things following the instructions to the letter because she is a great at that, but now we have this cloudy substance shooting out of the returns.

She says it didn't start doing this until I got home and this disaster must be my fault, while I the loving and humble husband am thinking it must be an equipment malfunction and not her and her chemical concoction.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: white cloud of doom fills the pool when super chlorinati

Could you post a full set of water test results?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Uh yeah white cloud of doom was an apt name. But seriously you should never be "super" chlorinating just the proper levels for your cya
    Nathan
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart

4. Back To Top    #4

OMG what is that??? Yeah I don't use the super chlorinate function on my SWG, but if I did I wouldn't expect it to do that. Did she create an account and post here while you we're gone? We've had a couple service wives with pool issues.

Thank you for your service, I'm glad you are back and can enjoy your pool!
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

5. Back To Top    #5

Is this the algaecide that she used?

n-Alkyl (60%C14, 30%C16, 5%C12, 5%C18) Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride

Based on the picture, I'm guessing that you shocked by adding calcium hypochlorite through the skimmer, correct?

What type of filter do you have, and when is the last time you backwashed?

6. Back To Top    #6

Wow!! I was expecting a bunch of bubbles... but again.. Wow!

I would guess by the look of it is from something that has been added to the water, not an SWG thing. Then again, I don't have a super chlorinate option on mine.

Does it appear to be a lather like a soap, or more like bubbles that disappear quickly.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks everyone for the replies;

Here are answers to some of the questions.

I am going to take a sample of water to the pool store today to get the levels all I have is the home test strips which shows all levels normal but chorine is a little low.

This was the algecide she used and she didn't use a shock.

Also we have a sand filter that is on its second season the sand has never been changed I can do that if you think it will help.

8. Back To Top    #8

That algaecide will cause foaming. It will eventually breakdown a go go away. I wouldn't use any more of it.

How are you shocking? What product and how added?

Based on the picture, something was added just before the picture was taken. What was added?

9. Back To Top    #9

I think a bigger problem is how do you keep the water from falling out of the pool?
    22,000 Gunite, Cart Filter, Aquarite SWG

10. Back To Top    #10

It was the algaecide, thanks for the help Gold Stars for everyone.

Stay awesome pool forum friends!

11. Back To Top    #11

Let us know those numbers when you get them, and we can go from there in helping to get things back on track. I also suggest you read the pool school link in the upper right of this page when you have time. It sounds like you already started off fairly good, but there may be a few gaps in the things you need to know.

Ike

p.s. One thing that several people above hinted at, but no one really said is we generally advise only super chlorinating when test results show a need, and we generally advise SWG owners to use a manual addition of chlorine (usually liquid chlorine or bleach) for the rarely needed super chlorination as using super chlorination mode on SWG's will shorten the expected service life of the SWG. (basically the plates in the SWG will only produce a certain total amount of chlorine before they wear out, using them in super chlorinating mode speeds up that process)
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~