Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: adding second pump

1. Back To Top    #1

adding second pump

We have had several pools over the years (the last was a 20ft KD , lasted 14 yrs) , we now have a Intec 24x54 and it has the paper type filter....I have been reading to get the Unicel do to seal problems , my problem is calcium and lime in the water , so I added the old sand filter with separate plumbing (from the K&D pool) to vacuum the sedament from the bottom , but the sand filter does not remove the fine dust particles.... is there away to add a fiberglass filter to the top of the sand inside the sand filter or would DE be a better filter agent?....we have drained and added new water , we have vacuumed 20 times , but the water turns to a skim milk look , the next day , there is a 1/4 in of a very fine powder on the bottom , we vacuum and it is there the next day.....we are on the 3rd paper filter in the Intex pump.....
    We had a drought last year ,and the health and conservation people say this condition on water quality will continue for several years until a substantial rainfall washes it farther away or dissolves it.......
    I also have an old Hayward pump and strainer , but the sand filter cracked , so would have to replace that....but I'd hate to have 3 pump filters running to clean one pool......would diatomacous earth or adding paper or fiberglass cloth type filter from an a/c unit to the top of the sand in the filter work? ( a friend did this once and recommended this , but he is somewhat mentally challenged at times , so I thought I might get some outside input..... Thanks for any Help or recommendations...... Old Fart

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: adding second pump

You can actually add DE to the sand filter without doing anything else. There's an article about how to do that here.
    The DE will work better than any other media you could add to the filter.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit