Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: probably did something dumb

1. Back To Top    #1
    Denton, TX

probably did something dumb

I got the kids in the hot tub and let that be their "bath" washed their hair and such.
    Shampoo of course made for a very elaborate bubble bath.

We have probably done this 5-6 times this summer.

last couple days, I notice a lot of "scum" for lack of a better word floating around the hot tub abd leaving greenish ring.
    So yesterday I drained the tub (into the pool) and washed it top to bottom with clorox bleach.

Filled it back up with water and it was sparkling

Today I go out there, and there is a thick tar-like substance caked all over the spillover ledge. It is green and really as sticky as tar.

Surprisingly, I took my water to Leslie's and they said it was perfect, no chemicals needed.

How badly have I screwed up?
    Suggestions on what I should do?
    In-ground, SWG, 20,000 Gallons, Attached spa w/ Spillover, Hayward system, Cartridge Filter.
    Dallas TX

2. Back To Top    #2

SpringHill FL

Re: probably did something dumb

Wow um i would start by not using the hottub as a bathtub with soap and shampoo. Then i would get a good test kit and check all my numbers in the pool and hottub.( but thats just me)
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Re: probably did something dumb

Yeah. That is not a good idea to put soap in the spa/pool. Get a scum ball and elevate the FC some to break down the mess.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!