Skimmer help: What, why, when?

Fem2nv

Jul 21, 2013
Fayetteville,nc
First thanks to anyone who can help...I have an intex 18x18 with an intex sand and saltwater filtration system with the skimmer basket attached at the pump! As of now it is no use because the holes at the intake inside the pool are so small nothing can get through and I havent found a part to buy that would fit! seems like everything I read online is a homemade something or another and Utube dosent even have a good video! I think I understand that u can use a pliers and break off intake to fit that blue "male" fitting and then a hose would attach onto male part allowing debris to get to the skimmer at the pump... Right? So my question is does the lid stay on the skimmer while vacuuming? And would it be ok to leave that blue male attachment on the intake in the pool all the time? Wasn't sure if it's better to start a vacuum from the intake or straight from the skimmer so I haven't bought any parts yet! Looks like I need either the blue male intake connector or the 1.25-1.5 hose fitting attachment at the skimmer? What do I do?

Actually, I think the OP is asking about attaching a vacuum. To answer the question, the basket with the clear lid attached to the pump is not a skimmer, it is a leaf catcher, and you are correct, it is useless when used with the intex intake because the holes in the intake are smaller than the slots in the leaf catcher basket, so nothing will ever get trapped there. You do not attach your vacuum to this. Typically you attach your vacuum to the intake, but as you have already realized, this is not very easy or effective with the intex intake.

The best upgrade you can make is to install a through the wall skimmer to replace your intex intake. I installed this one http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP1091LX- ... rd+skimmer Many other intex owners here have also installed the same one. This will make it much easier to keep your pool clean, not only does it constantly skim the surface debris before it has a chance to sink, but it comes with a vacuum plate so you can easily attach a vacuum hose for use with a vacuum.

I have an Intex metal frame pool, an "old" one so no new fangled skimmers. It has the over the wall floating skimmer that attaches to the wall intake with a hose. We've replaced hose with regular pool hose that my husband heated to stretch a bit to fit over the stupid intex hose/intake adapter.

Anyhoo.... First off I I never have that piece actually screwed to the intake on the wall, the pump suction just holds it there. When I vacuum, I pull it off and just put the end of the vacuum hose right in the intake in the wall. The suction holds it in and it fits right in with no other water pulling from around the edges. When I'm done I pull it back out and put the skimmer hose/adapter piece back on.

I'd like to do the through wall skimmer but I'm not sure I want to sacrifice any depth as the 18'x46" pool I have is only 42" of water as it is...

kellyetheredge said:
PridgNYC......how do you like the Kreepy Krauly lil Shark....we are trying to decide on an above ground cleaner for our Intex

I like the Kreepy Krauly, it works well, though it works faster if you attach a pole to it and give it a little guidance. :) It can be attached to the intake that came with the 2650 pump, you just have to unscrew the screen from the intake and put the vacuum hose in the hole that is exposed. It is even more convenient when used with the vacuum plate that came with the Hayward through-the-wall skimmer which I used instead of the intex intake.

Beens said:
I have an Intex metal frame pool, an "old" one so no new fangled skimmers. It has the over the wall floating skimmer that attaches to the wall intake with a hose. We've replaced hose with regular pool hose that my husband heated to stretch a bit to fit over the stupid intex hose/intake adapter.

Anyhoo.... First off I I never have that piece actually screwed to the intake on the wall, the pump suction just holds it there. When I vacuum, I pull it off and just put the end of the vacuum hose right in the intake in the wall. The suction holds it in and it fits right in with no other water pulling from around the edges. When I'm done I pull it back out and put the skimmer hose/adapter piece back on.

I'd like to do the through wall skimmer but I'm not sure I want to sacrifice any depth as the 18'x46" pool I have is only 42" of water as it is...

There are a number of people here who installed the through-the-wall skimmer so that the top edge is above the seam so they don't sacrifice any depth.

Fem2nv said:
First thanks to anyone who can help...I have an intex 18x18 with an intex sand and saltwater filtration system with the skimmer basket attached at the pump! As of now it is no use because the holes at the intake inside the pool are so small nothing can get through and I havent found a part to buy that would fit! seems like everything I read online is a homemade something or another and Utube dosent even have a good video! I think I understand that u can use a pliers and break off intake to fit that blue "male" fitting and then a hose would attach onto male part allowing debris to get to the skimmer at the pump... Right? So my question is does the lid stay on the skimmer while vacuuming? And would it be ok to leave that blue male attachment on the intake in the pool all the time? Wasn't sure if it's better to start a vacuum from the intake or straight from the skimmer so I haven't bought any parts yet! Looks like I need either the blue male intake connector or the 1.25-1.5 hose fitting attachment at the skimmer? What do I do?

Vacuum attaches at the intake. If you remove the cover from the 'leaf catcher' at the pump all your water will drain out of the pool, so don't do that unless you close both intake and return valves. It would be much easier to attach a vacuum if you install a TTW (through the wall) skimmer like linked to in my earlier post.

Doesn't that mean the square that I cut for the skimmer would be partly cut through that seam? Or did they only cut half a hole? I have looked at so many threads here and I remember seeing a couple with in wall skimmers but they were the Ultra-Frame style pools and already deeper to start with and seemed to be below the seam.

(Obviously I'm not picturing this correctly) :hammer:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just came back from reading that thread. As soon as I posted my last post I decided to google "intex skimmer above seam".

I guess it does look like something I can do. I'm just afraid of cutting near that seam. I do wish I had a different return also. And I want to be rid of those plungers! :-\

I've been doing a lot of reading....got the pool improvement bug...

PridgNYC said:
Beens said:

There are a number of people here who installed the through-the-wall skimmer so that the top edge is above the seam so they don't sacrifice any depth.

^^^^^^^^^ this. get the hayward dyna skim and mount it on the seam like i did. no worries, no loss of depth. and it comes with the vac adapter for "troublefree vacuuming" :wink: it was the best thing i did to my pool and works great. dont worry about install, a child could do it. just cut the butterfly gasket in two, then locate skimmer, poke holes with screwdriver for screws, mount skimmer, then cut out opening with exacto knife. you cant hardly screw it up.

You guys are going to have me out at the pool with a knife before much longer! And I googled that kreepy krauly lil shark and now I want one of those too! I'm already spending all my $ on bleach. :p

I'm driving my family crazy with pool talk, but oh well. It's better than stressing about work I guess.

Beens said:
You guys are going to have me out at the pool with a knife before much longer! And I googled that kreepy krauly lil shark and now I want one of those too! I'm already spending all my $ on bleach. :p

I'm driving my family crazy with pool talk, but oh well. It's better than stressing about work I guess.

well, lol, maybe this will push you over the edge.... here is how i did mine:

BTW... this first pic was taken right after install of skimmer, and BEFORE i filled pool back up. i run water level about 1- 1 1/2 inches below top of skimmer opening.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 130
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 126
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 118
also, i recommend keeping the original inlet too for these reasons:

1. if swimmers are in pool while pump is on, and a raft or floaty like the one in my pic is in water, it can (and will) get sucked up against the skimmer, creating air in pump system, which causes pump to stop pumping and you have to bleed air out to get pump to start working again which is a PITA. however, if you run second inlet along with skimmer, and skimmer gets blocked, no big deal, as the suction will just double at the original inlet. now when there are no swimmers in the pool, and there are a lot of bugs or debris in it, like in the morning, ill close the ball valve on the original inlet and it will double the suction on the skimmer and really clean the pool. its nice to be able to have and control both inlets.

2. when hooking up vac to skimmer with adapter, if you accidently let hose get above water line, same air in system issue will happen with pump. i find it easier to have both skimmer and inlet suction on while hooking up vac. then once vac is hooked up, i have verified suction at the vac head, and im ready to use it, i close the valve on the original inlet, and it will double the suction power to the vac. when im done vacuuming, i open valve before disconnecting vac adapter, so i dont risk getting any air in pump system. this just makes connecting the vac a lot easier and it is forgiving if you accidently let vac suck in any air. and you want some suction in skimmer when you disconnect vac, as the debris in the skimmer basket will float up if you shut off pump before you pull skimmer basket to dump debris. especially with grass. i have had grass clipping float out of basket and skimmer and back in to pool when i killed pump after vacuuming. with a two inlet system, you can leave pump on the whole time while you hook up and unhook vac without fear of introducing air.

I recommend installing all ball valves at a level where they can be operated while in the pool, this very useful, especially while vacumming.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.