Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dropped extension cord in pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Dropped extension cord in pool

Hello - DH was using the shop vac around the deck of the pool and dragged the extension cord into the water. Our outdoor plug is not a GFCI, but there is some sort of GFCI built into our electrical panel that tripped, so we reset and that outlet is working again. First I was most concerned about our pool robot which was plugged into the same outlet, but it seems OK. Now I'm freaked out that the water in the pool is electrified. DH got in the pool to show me it wasn't, and I did, too, but I'm so shaken up from the freak out I need some reassurance. Please help!

Oh, and supposed to have a big pool party with 30 people here tomorrow. How to tell if water is OK?
    35,000 gallon gunite pool, semi-T-shaped, 29x15 shallow end and 16x22 deep end, built in the mid-1970s and renovated 2013-2014 // Polaris 9300 Sport robotic cleaner // Taylor K-2006 ... Learning as we go and so grateful to everyone here for their help! Our reno thread

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dropped extension cord in pool

The pool did not "store" any current even if there was ever any in there. Got a good testing kit?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Yes, water doesn't store electricity any more than a wire does once it's unplugged, plus the breaker probably tripped very quickly. Absolutely nothing to worry about, but be careful in the future!
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a Taylor K-2006 to test the water but think that might not be what you mean. That story of the 11yo girl being electrocuted at her swim club completely scared me already, and this thing today gave me heart palpitations. (Or was I just freaking out? Auuuuuugggghhh!) I was an English major, so have forgotten anything I ever knew about electricity.
    35,000 gallon gunite pool, semi-T-shaped, 29x15 shallow end and 16x22 deep end, built in the mid-1970s and renovated 2013-2014 // Polaris 9300 Sport robotic cleaner // Taylor K-2006 ... Learning as we go and so grateful to everyone here for their help! Our reno thread

5. Back To Top    #5

Oh, and thanks so much for your quick responses and reassurance. DH might not have to sleep on the couch tonight after all.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

No, that's what he meant. The only thing you need to worry about is whether your chemical levels are good. I was an electrical engineering major at one time, so I probably forgot more than you knew

You is fine, their is no problem, couldn't be gooder. (That was a joke... Because you are an English major... funny, no?)
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson
    No, that's what he meant. The only thing you need to worry about is whether your chemical levels are good. I was an electrical engineering major at one time, so I probably forgot more than you knew

You is fine, their is no problem, couldn't be gooder. (That was a joke... Because you are an English major... funny, no?)
    The Donald strikes again. Good advice, good humor.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

8. Back To Top    #8

Even if the breaker had stayed on for days with the cord in the water, as soon as you turned it off the water was safe.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Bwaaahaaa! Thanks again!

10. Back To Top    #10

If you really REALLY wanna be certain the pool is okay, go out at midnight tonight and toss in a handfull of light bulbs.
    "The early bird might get the worm, but its the second mouse that gets the cheese." ~ W. Rian Adams
    Relative's IG Vinyl | 16x32 | ~18,600 gals | Hayward 3/4hp Pump | Hayward S244T Filter | Pentair Model 300 Chlorinator (not used) | Polaris 180

11. Back To Top    #11

Now that you know the pool is safe, you may want to see about getting all those outdoor outlets switched over to ground fault breakers / outlets in case this ever happens again while someone is swimming.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1
    Now that you know the pool is safe, you may want to see about getting all those outdoor outlets switched over to ground fault breakers / outlets in case this ever happens again while someone is swimming.
    She said she has a gfi breaker. Can't put a gfi plug on a circuit with a gfi breaker. Won't work. And not needed.

13500 gallon AG, build late 90's, Hayward S220T sand filter,1Hp aqua coastal
    Gasser BBQ broilmate 155154 LP, Smoker CGK (akorn)