Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: trying to use anionic polymer

1. Back To Top    #1

trying to use anionic polymer

I have 35 kg of anionic polymer, for drinking water treatment.
    I will try to use it like a clarifer to let solids in suspension in pool with a bad hydrodynamics and sand filters.
    The aim is to avoid vacuming pools once a week.
    Is someone know something about the risks and effects...

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: trying to use anionic polymer

I have to vacuum my pool 3 times weekly. If you are able to get by without vacuuming at all, you can sell me some of that stuff.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

San Rafael, CA USA

Just keep in mind that most clarifiers are cationic polymers and you should absolutely not use your anionic polymer at the same time as a cationic polymer or you will get a precipitated mess.

An anionic polymer won't usually consolidate as much suspended matter in a pool as a cationic polymer because the surfaces of most cells are negative so are attracted to the positive cationic polymer but would be repelled by the negative anionic polymer.

Besides, for material that you normally have to vacuum, it's much too large and heavy for a polymer to handle. If you want to automatically stir up leaves and other material from the bottom to be able to skim them, then you would use something like Proteam System Support, but that's when you've got a lot of material in the pool, not for regular maintenance.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

Any update on this? I was so highly skeptical when I read this I wanted to see what choice you made on using or not. I hope it was the not choice, but I'm curious.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

5. Back To Top    #5

I try the anionic polimer one time in a pool. It was very difficult to disolve in water. or in many water more than 10 L to have 1 ppm in a pool of 30 m3.
    The result was good (pool look better the next day) without problem with the sand filter.
    But the problem to disolve it..., the time to spend to test the water to try NO3- (I donīt know if the oxidation of Anionic Polyacrylamide produce NO3-) , I don't use it. So I use PoliQAC, with aluminium.