Ignorant of my own pool equipment - circulation issue

MLock

Jul 5, 2011
Indianapolis
I'm having circulation issues, and I suspect something in my pump equipment, but I'm not smart enough to even tell you what it is. First, the problem: I have eight wall returns and three in-floor cleaning jets, and typically the returns would fire two at a time, rotating around the pool, and the floor cleaners would pop up one after the other. Recently, I've noticed that only two returns are working, and they're on all the time; likewise, only one floor jet pops up and it stays popped up all the time.

I have this in my pumping station:

aYfEwO3l.jpg

The top looks like this (the pressure gauge has always read low, but right now it's very low):

orYICl1l.jpg

Is it correct to assume that attacking this would be the first step in troubleshooting my circulation issue? If so, can anyone give me some instructions on what I'm going to find when I take it apart?

Notes: Filter pressure is good; brand-new pump motor (AO Smith 1hp) although this issue was around right before the old pump motor died.

I am always amazed at the variety of equipment used on pools. I have never seen this kind of thing before. However, I did find a manual on line for something that looks just like your valve and the manual contains some troubleshooting tips. It might give you the answers you need. Note that the manual appears to just be scanned in and the pages numbers jump all over.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-91425600618043/paramount.pdf

Hope this helps,
Mike

MLock said:
Thanks Dave, that makes sense. Would you or the other experts here consider just capping the system off and having a more "standard" pool circulation system?

A lot of people do that, but I wouldn't give up without making an effort at repair. It isn't rocket science, and as long as you can keep it working without excessive costs, you might as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.