Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What am I doing wrong

1. Back To Top    #1

What am I doing wrong

Am I so thick I cannot get rid of algy, Yesterday my chlorine was 3 this morning my chlorine was .5 and a thin sheen of green algy in my pool. It has been just 5 days since I got rid of the last lot. My TA is 110 my pH is 7.8. I know you are going to ask for my tya but as yet I have not the test kit and cannot get one until I get a visit from the uk. The post here is at best unreliable and only bills get through this is not an exaggeration.

HELP a wrinkly day.
    Living in Cyprus
    In ground overflow pool tiled 12m X 4m 19507 Us gals 16243 Imp gals
    1 Kw motor 15 cu m per min Sand filter
    I thought I saw the light at the end of the tunnel but it was just some PERSON with a torch walking toward me.
    I started out in life with nothing and I still have most of it left.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What am I doing wrong

Ok, if you don't know your CYA levels this can be very hard to do as you will be guessing on correct FC levels to clear the algae and more important on what the correct level is to maintain it once cleared.

We can take some educated guesses about the situation, but we need some more information,

Do, you know when was the pool last refilled with water?

What have you been using for chlorination (bleach / liquid chlorine, dichlor, trichlor, Cal-Hypo ?) About how much of each?

How much water splash out / overflow do you have, as well as replacement from rain fall?

Ike

p.s. without a detailed test kit how do you know you killed off all the last batch of algae, and did not just kill 99% to get it below the visual detection level, then let it bloom again when you lowered chlorine level
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

The pool was filled 18 months ago
    I am using Trichloroisocyanuric acid ,TCCA 90 I will have to translate the rest of the information as it is in Turkish.
    I use about 5 tons of well water a week which has a hardness of 500. Their is no rainfall in the summer here from June to December.
    Living in Cyprus
    I thought I saw the light at the end of the tunnel but it was just some PERSON with a torch walking toward me.

4. Back To Top    #4

Sound like you have a classic case of over stabilization, of course without test results it is hard to tell just how high the CYA level is. And as you likely know by now the only solution is substantial water replacement, but again without test results it is hard to say how much. On a side point have you at least switched away form using the trichlor that is the root of the problem?
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter

5. Back To Top    #5

Hello Isaac-1
    is trichlor Trichloroisocyanuric acid.

Thanks
    Living in Cyprus

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes. And the cyanuric acid in the name is the stabilizer / CYA.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes it also goes by several other names, take a look at this link for a few (right hand column, other names)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichloroisocyanuric_acid