Rash from pool! :( Please help.

Jun 12, 2013
Hello ~
This is our first season with a pool. We seemed to be doing well with our water levels until yesterday. My husband said everything seemed low, but did not tell me until after we were out of the water. We have four little children and we all swam in it yesterday. This evening I noticed that I had a rash on my trunk of my body as well as my husband. What is this from?? We have been working to get the levels back up to normal.

Feeling very worried!

Thank you for any help!

Rachel

We are using a strip that is in a blue bottle. So sorry I do not know the name of it at the moment. It is in the garage and I have a sleeping baby on my lap. All of items that it tests for were low today. I was just looking at the recommended list and will be buying one of those tonight.
I am worried since we have such little children.
I did do some online searching and found something called Pseudomonas dermatitis / Folliculitis. I feel completely awful that we did this wrong.
How can we fix it?

Honestly the strips are no good. Take a look at one of our test kits in pool school. While your looking at pool school read the ABC's of water chemistry You need to have one of them. You want to know where your levels are with accuracy. With the kids and yourselves its a small investment. It will make your life in maintaining your pool easier.

Not sure what caused the rash. We can't really help getting your water in check without accurate test results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Sorry. Forgot you said you were getting one. When the kit arrives post your test results and we'll help you out. In the mean time keep your water in check as best as you can. Keep the chlorine level up so we don't get algae

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Oh so sorry you got a rash from your pool. That's no fun at all, I have had some whoppers from poorly maintained pools. So much so, I was half afraid to get my own pool. That is, until I found this wonderful site. :mrgreen:
I hope you get better quick and the itching/irritation goes away quickly. Hydrocortisone and aloe are your friends. heeee :)

I would also advise you to stop using stabilized chlorine and switch to bleach/liquid CL. The number one problem with pools is the use of stabilized chlorine making the cya levels too high. With continued use as it does so, not adding enough CL to match. Makes for a very "non-trouble free pool".

In order to use bleach though, you'll need to know your cya levels. As the more cya you have in the pool, the more bleach you need to add in order to keep the FC level in check.
Without a proper test kit, this is very difficult. But you can approximate by telling us how much of the following type(s) of stabilized chlorine you have used since filling the pool.
Tri-Chlor, Di-Chlor in pucks or granule form, as well as "shock powder" and what type. Assuming this has been your only source of CL. If not, please list others and how much you have used.

How often you have backwashed your sand filter and for how long, as well as how much rain water, if any you have had.

Hang in there! We got ya covered. :goodjob:

EDIT: I see from your sig, which I couldn't see in TapaTalk, that you have an SWCG and that from your other posts you have manually added cya. Let us know how much cya you have added, in additional to any stabilized CL as noted above. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.