Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Above ground pool vac problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Above ground pool vac problem

We put our new pool in this year and I purchased a Hayward Aqua Bug pool vac on recommendations from a friend and by looking at reviews online. Our pool is 30' round and is dished out in the center. The vacuum has no trouble going up the sides of the deep area but it gets to the outer walls and gets stuck and will not move. It also vacuums over the same areas over and over, and even if left in for hours, misses other parts entirely. Forget about going around the steps. Once as we were in the pool and trying to bump the bug over to an area that needed cleaning, less than a foot away from the location it was in, the hose came off and immediately started sucking up the liner. Luckily my husband was right next to the pump and quickly turned it off. It left a mound that we had to flatten but luckily did not damage the liner or the pump. Since then I do not want to not have someone nearby when it is working. I work at home but the key is that I "work" and I can't spend 4 hours to have it partly clean the pool and get stuck at the walls. A neighbor with a smaller pool had similar problems - so I don't think it is related to size. Am I missing something or is there a better above ground pool vac that does not need to be babysat for four hours? Thanks for any help!
    30 ft. round Aqua Leader agp with dished out center 23,800 gallons; 1.5 hp Hayward pro matrix pump; Hayward EC50 DE filter; solar panels; solar cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Above ground pool vac problem

You might want to try the Pool RoverJr. I have both.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Above ground pool vac problem

Does the Pool Rover Jr. cover the whole pool pretty well? I find myself having to hand vacuum after the Aquabug and I am trying to avoid that. since you have both which has worked better for you?
    30 ft. round Aqua Leader agp with dished out center 23,800 gallons; 1.5 hp Hayward pro matrix pump; Hayward EC50 DE filter; solar panels; solar cover