Adding muriatic acid

Jul 20, 2013
Hi,
I am new to pools so I went to my pool experts and they told me to add muriatic acid to my water. They told me to add the acid to the pool and leave the pump off for at least 4hrs. I read several posts that say to leave the pump on to circulate the water. This seems more logical. What is the proper method for adding the acid.

Thanks

They have recommended that you acid becuase your PH level it too high. Got any numbers to post? We recommend PH around 7.5. Pour it in front of an upturned return nozzle (slowly) and allow the pool to ciruclate for about 30 minutes. NO "pool experts" would recommend that you not circulate it. Welcome to the forum.

What type of pool do you have? If you have a vinyl liner, that is a sure way to ruin it. The acid would probably eat a hole right through. You want to leave the pump running at least 30 minutes after adding chemicals.

I just purchased the pool from a large residential pool store. I took my water there to be tested and they gave me a sheet with the instructions that are as follows:
1. Shut off pool pump and wait for water to settle.
2. Add acid in pool at the opposite side of pool from skimmer.
3. Leave pump off for min of 4-6 hrs.
4. Turn pump on for at least 6 hrs.
5. Retest.

My numbers are:
FC: 8.8
pH: 7.4
Total alkalinity: 180
Calcium: 175
Stabilizer: 15
Thanks

I believe they are trying to reduce his alkalinity. It sounds like the same idea as an acid slug, and just as likely to cause liner damage.

Er, yeah, what James said :goodjob:

Welcome! :wave:

You have done well to find us and ask before making all the stupid mistakes the professionals would have you do.
Where'd you get those test results? Who makes a CYA test that reads to 15? It wasn't test strips, was it? :grrrr:

A few hours spent in Pool School and a few bucks on a decent test kit, and you are set to have a trouble free pool, with water that sparkles so much you'll be the envy of the neighborhood.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.