Pump Trouble, humming sound

Jun 4, 2013
Massachusetts
I have a new pool installed about a month and a half ago. The pool came with a Waterways 2 HP 2 Speed pump and Cartridge filter.

On Wednesday day evening (3 nights ago) I turned off the pump and filter at approx midnight. The following day on Thurs around 1PM I went to turn the unit back on and when i did only got a quiet hum. after about 5 seconds it stopped and I had to reset the breaker to have power.

After calling the installer I checked the hoses, basket on the filter, filter cartridge, and immediate connections for blockage and there was none. I also could sneak my finger in and turn the impellar. It did not appear to be stuck. I tired lightly tapping the outside of motor with a hammer but had no luck.

I called Namco where I purchased to pool and they are going to try and send someone out tomorrow to diagnose/fix. From what I'm reading it could be the starting capacitor, but I am a newbie to pools and am not familiar with where this is and how to fix it. Def not an electrician :) Tips/ Suggestions Please!!

It is under warranty (they say and I hope) since I only purchased it in late May. Any ideas on why this happened when the unit only 6 weeks old? Any better way to prevent it from happening again?

Thank you,
Mike

To find out if it is the starting capacitor you would have to be able to turn it on and then manually get it spinning to see if it starts up. So if you can somehow do that without risking your fingers then give it a try. If that is the case, probably just a bad capacitor from the factory, that's why they have warranties.

If you can't do that safely then just let the their guy work on it. Seriously, do not risk your fingers to figure out something that is going to probably get fixed tomorrow. If it is the capacitor and he has one it is a 5 minute fix.

Thanks for the response. Motor is fixed and running. Apparently it was just hung up. Serviceman took over the plastic piece at the end of unit. Then took a flat head screwdriver and while unit was powered and humming turned the impeller and it unfroze and kicked on. For newbies like myself when you have the outer case off you will see a screw that fits a large flathead. Just give it a spin or two. Very easy fix.

Donldson thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.

Yep, that is the "not lose your fingers" way to do it. That's how I did it until I got my replacement capacitor installed. Makes me wonder, after he did that, did he turn it off, let it spin down completely, and then turn it back on and let it start on it's own?

I just read your post and thought "no he didn't". So I went outside and turned it off. Tried to go back on and only that Hum again!! Boy am I aggravated and mad at myself for not asking that this morning. Tried calling pool store but they close at 4 on Sundays. My only problem is I have no idea how to change a capacitor. Woman I spoke to yesterday said since its new and under warranty they would give me s new motor if they couldn't solve the problem. But disconnecting old and reinstalling new costs money soni am not a happy camper.
What are the odds?? Only me lol

Yeah, it sounds like a bum capacitor from the factory. It is a really simple fix if they have the capacitor (and they should at least have a source for one). You can use a screw driver to get it going again so you can keep things circulating but it still needs fixed.

Some guys just don't want to bother doing the job right, used to drive me nuts when I called maintenance at the factory i used to work at and they just did whatever they could to hurry on to the next job.

I agree one of my pet peeves too. Do it right the first time. I actually called the pool company and they are going to give me a while new motor. Said that they send back all motors that have problems to be repaired since they don't have on site techs. I was impressed. Only downfall is I have to take off the old motor and bring it to them. Otherwise, I should be set.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.