Inconsistent chlorine capacity instructions for Liquidator

lrk2

Apr 29, 2013
I've read all the information that came with by C-201 ("8 Gallon capacity") Liquidator, and come away confused.

First, it is advertised as having an 8 gallon chlorine capacity, and in Step 2 of the Start Up Procedure in the manual it states:
"Do not add more than four gallons of liquid pool chlorine to THE LIQUIDATOR® Model R-101 or eight gallons to the Model C-201 at one time."

However, the unit came with a laminated Operating Instructions card attached to it which states:
"Never add more than 4 gallons of Liquid Chlorine into the C-201" !

Furthermore, the both the laminated card states "The yellow chlorine bed should not exceed the top of the white tube extension on the lower portion of the black drop tube" and the manual more strongly states "When recharging the unit with new liquid pool chlorine, never add more than the recommended maximum (i.e., the yellow liquid chlorine bed not higher than the top of the white extension on the drop tube)"

However, before starting up the LQ I poured in water in 1 gallon increments to make markings on the LQ and found that at 7 gallons the water just reached the top of the white extension tube, not 8 gallons!

So, it it safe to add 8 gallons and exceed the top of the white tube, or should I limit it to 7 gallons?

Thanks! - Larry

Re: Inconsistent chlorine capacity instructions for Liquidat

The top of the white tube is a guide. I've poured bleach to above that before. The reason for the instructions is that it's an easy and permanent mark. What they don't want to happen is that you fill the LQ full enough that the bleach/water interface line is above or even close to the float valve level. As long as you stay well below the float valve port you'll be fine.

I'm not sure what the reason for the instructions saying not to add more than 4 gallons to the 8 gallon LQ unless it just leftover from the 4 gallon unit. That or they want you to leave at least 4 gallons in it all the time.

Re: Inconsistent chlorine capacity instructions for Liquidat

Bama Rambler said:
The top of the white tube is a guide. I've poured bleach to above that before. The reason for the instructions is that it's an easy and permanent mark... As long as you stay well below the float valve port you'll be fine.
That was what I was thinking, since they neglected to put gallon markings on the thing. Now that I have put them on myself, I'll go by those, but try to error on the side of underfilling.

Bama Rambler said:
I'm not sure what the reason for the instructions saying not to add more than 4 gallons to the 8 gallon LQ unless it just leftover from the 4 gallon unit. That or they want you to leave at least 4 gallons in it all the time.
I'm willing to bet it is just a typo (cut and paste error), unless they mean that we shouldn't add more than 4 gallons at one time (to leave it time to settle).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.