Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Inconsistent chlorine capacity instructions for Liquidator

1. Back To Top    #1

Inconsistent chlorine capacity instructions for Liquidator

I've read all the information that came with by C-201 ("8 Gallon capacity") Liquidator, and come away confused.

First, it is advertised as having an 8 gallon chlorine capacity, and in Step 2 of the Start Up Procedure in the manual it states:
    "Do not add more than four gallons of liquid pool chlorine to THE LIQUIDATOR® Model R-101 or eight gallons to the Model C-201 at one time."

However, the unit came with a laminated Operating Instructions card attached to it which states:
    "Never add more than 4 gallons of Liquid Chlorine into the C-201" !

Furthermore, the both the laminated card states "The yellow chlorine bed should not exceed the top of the white tube extension on the lower portion of the black drop tube" and the manual more strongly states "When recharging the unit with new liquid pool chlorine, never add more than the recommended maximum (i.e., the yellow liquid chlorine bed not higher than the top of the white extension on the drop tube)"

However, before starting up the LQ I poured in water in 1 gallon increments to make markings on the LQ and found that at 7 gallons the water just reached the top of the white extension tube, not 8 gallons!

So, it it safe to add 8 gallons and exceed the top of the white tube, or should I limit it to 7 gallons?

Thanks! - Larry

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Inconsistent chlorine capacity instructions for Liquidat

The yellow chlorine bed should not exceed the top of the white tube extension on the lower portion of the black drop tube"
    That your guide....don't exceed it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The top of the white tube is a guide. I've poured bleach to above that before. The reason for the instructions is that it's an easy and permanent mark. What they don't want to happen is that you fill the LQ full enough that the bleach/water interface line is above or even close to the float valve level. As long as you stay well below the float valve port you'll be fine.

I'm not sure what the reason for the instructions saying not to add more than 4 gallons to the 8 gallon LQ unless it just leftover from the 4 gallon unit. That or they want you to leave at least 4 gallons in it all the time.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    The top of the white tube is a guide. I've poured bleach to above that before. The reason for the instructions is that it's an easy and permanent mark... As long as you stay well below the float valve port you'll be fine.
    That was what I was thinking, since they neglected to put gallon markings on the thing. Now that I have put them on myself, I'll go by those, but try to error on the side of underfilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    I'm not sure what the reason for the instructions saying not to add more than 4 gallons to the 8 gallon LQ unless it just leftover from the 4 gallon unit. That or they want you to leave at least 4 gallons in it all the time.
    I'm willing to bet it is just a typo (cut and paste error), unless they mean that we shouldn't add more than 4 gallons at one time (to leave it time to settle).