Hayward Swimpro 2HP 2speed

Jun 17, 2011
Central Iowa
Hi everyone. Just picked up our craigslist pool (brand new in box's) and it came with a new Hayward 2hp 2speed pump. SW159412STL is the model.
I have done quite a bit of looking and can't find much info on this pump. So I have a few questions I hope you can help with.

Is this too large to clean a 27' round with 250lb sand filter (Hayward 256T Swimpro)?
Will it cost more to run on low speed than a 1HP 2 speed?

I'm trying to determine if I should sell it before opening and get a 1hp or will it work just fine? Just a little large on highspeed....
Thanks so much!

On high speed it is a bit too much, but on low speed it is a fairly good choice. A 2 HP on low will cost less to operate than a 1 HP on high, but more than a 1 HP on low. The difference between the two when both are used on low speed is small, probably not worth the cost of changing the pump for another one.

Yes, I can confirm that it did blow out some sand with backwash water. :)

Quick question. Info is to backwash when pressure raises 25% above initial pressure of clean filter. Is that on low speed or high? I for obvious reasons always run on low and clean pressure this spring is about 5%. So I backwash when it goes up to 6.5%?

I assume you mean 5psi and 6.5psi?

Usually the pressure is read on high speed because on low many of us barely get any pressure reading so it is not possible to see a 25% raise. If you can differentiate 5 and 6.5 psi, then that should be fine. You could confirm that you get similar relative pressure rises while on high speed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.