Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Swimpro 2HP 2speed

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Swimpro 2HP 2speed

Hi everyone. Just picked up our craigslist pool (brand new in box's) and it came with a new Hayward 2hp 2speed pump. SW159412STL is the model.
    I have done quite a bit of looking and can't find much info on this pump. So I have a few questions I hope you can help with.

Is this too large to clean a 27' round with 250lb sand filter (Hayward 256T Swimpro)?
    Will it cost more to run on low speed than a 1HP 2 speed?

I'm trying to determine if I should sell it before opening and get a 1hp or will it work just fine? Just a little large on highspeed....
    Thanks so much!
    27' x 54" AG Morada RTR/19,300 gal/ 1hp-2spd Hayward Power-Flo Matrix/Hayward 256T sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward Swimpro 2HP 2speed

On high speed it is a bit too much, but on low speed it is a fairly good choice. A 2 HP on low will cost less to operate than a 1 HP on high, but more than a 1 HP on low. The difference between the two when both are used on low speed is small, probably not worth the cost of changing the pump for another one.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

On the plus side it should backwash really well on high ... on the minus side, it may also blow out some sand with the backwash water
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, I can confirm that it did blow out some sand with backwash water.

Quick question. Info is to backwash when pressure raises 25% above initial pressure of clean filter. Is that on low speed or high? I for obvious reasons always run on low and clean pressure this spring is about 5%. So I backwash when it goes up to 6.5%?
    27' x 54" AG Morada RTR/19,300 gal/ 1hp-2spd Hayward Power-Flo Matrix/Hayward 256T sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I assume you mean 5psi and 6.5psi?

Usually the pressure is read on high speed because on low many of us barely get any pressure reading so it is not possible to see a 25% raise. If you can differentiate 5 and 6.5 psi, then that should be fine. You could confirm that you get similar relative pressure rises while on high speed.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes 5psi, thanks.
    I'll switch it over to high tonight to see what my 5psi equates to on high setting. As you mentioned it may be easier to tell that way. Thanks!!