Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algea stains

1. Back To Top    #1

Algea stains

I had a large bool now gone. Left black stains on steps and bottom of my inground pool.

I tried ascorbic acid but bot work well- probably had too much chlorine in water and insufficient ascorbic acid. Loks like ascorbic acid is for metals anyway.

Can anyone help with advice on what to use- short of empty and acid wash- to fremove algae stains?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Algea stains

Algae normally leaves organic stains. If you keep FC up towards the high end of the normal range, organic stains will fade out over a week or two.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Aside from increasing chlorine anyone know of another way to quickly get rid of algae stain after bloom?

4. Back To Top    #4
    Twin Cities, MN

Welcome to tfp, markR

If you have stains that are actually organic, then the approach JasonLion mentioned of raising your chlorine level to the high end of normal is the best and effective.

Try could this to confirm, place a trichlor tablet on the stain to see if it lightens. If it does then the stain is organic and raising the chlorine level is the right approach to get rid of the rest of the stain/stains.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.