Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PSI at Low speed

1. Back To Top    #1

PSI at Low speed

Just put in a 2 speed pump. On high my DE gauge reads 29 on low it reads 8. I have a 2# check valve in a 2" line going to the pool; on low it sits there and clicks and makes rushing sound (not loud, just noisier than the pump). Can I assume the check valve isn't really restricting flow? The reason pressure is 29 on high is I installed slotted return eyes and it raised that pressure by 5psi. Don't really care since I plan on running on low 8 hrs/day. Just curious what an expected filter pressure should be at low speed with clean filter.
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48 PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PSI at Low speed

I would suspect that you might have a bad pressure gauge. Does the gauge go to zero when the pump is off?

Is the filter below the water level of the pool? If yes, how much?

Why do you have the 2-pound check valve? Note: a 2-pound check valve will require 2 psi to get it to open.

3. Back To Top    #3

I would expect the pressure to be even lower than that on low speed. The check valve is the most likely cause. Spring check valves are not ideal when using low speed.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a 2# check valve because it came with the house and just had a single speed motor last week. If the filter is at 8#, the check valve must be open (4 jets have decent flow). I just thought the noise was funny and wondered what "normal" is on low. Pump is 6-8" above water level.

Since pump is above, I see no reason for the check valve, may remove it, since 2# is restricting flow slightly.
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

5. Back To Top    #5

Also, I have an issue with skimmer function (on low). I have drain valve shut halfway, and skimmer still doesn't have much "suck". I can put a leaf 3" into the skimmer opening and it will float back into the pool. Most small bugs just float by (1" from it). It has rained and level is about 1" above center, but I don't think lower would help much. Is this normal?

I ordered a Poolskim to hopefully alleviate the skimming problem. Will remove check valve tonight if I make it to Home Depot.
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

6. Back To Top    #6

Do you have a weir on the skimmer?
    Close the drain more.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes to the weir, normally works well on high. I guess I could close the drain and aim the jets straight down. Will try that tonight to see how much the skimmer improves.
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB