Mithel's Pool

Mithel

Jul 14, 2013
Minnesota
It seems everyone here loves to help each other and general questions quickly become attempts to solve the issues of that individual's situation. So I figured I'd just start a thread on my own pool for everyone to help me.

Situation: winter was long, spring was lots of rain, thus cloudy water. Pool store had me buy an incredible amount of chlorine and eventually the water became clear.

Now: I've decided it's more intelligent to learn here and follow the ideas here. So I've decided the main problem I have is that my CYA (stabilizer) levels are "sky high" (over 100) (confirmed by repeated tests at the store (who never commented on it and just kept selling me chlorine) and now my own testing with a TF-100 kit).

I've tried draining and refilling about 10% of the pool (still leaves CYA above 100). For various reasons it's not practical to drain the pool further. I'm testing and getting no free chlorine but 2 to 4 combined chloramines. I've dumped ten gallons of 12.5% bleach in so far. Does anyone have a guess how much more 12.5% I'm going to need to add in to get rid of the CC?

I'm a little nervous I'll put so much chlorine in that the pool won't be fit to swim in. (and I'm going to buy out Menards for liquid chlorine).

Mithel said:
Does anyone have a guess how much more 12.5% I'm going to need to add in to get rid of the CC?

With a CYA level over 100, a LOT. Have you done a 50% pool water 50% tap water CYA test to get a better idea where you stand? That will tell you how high you have to get your FC level to SLAM it. I can tell you though, if you try to SLAM with FC levels over 100 you will need to bring a pallet jack with you to Menards.

Try the 50/50 CYA test (multiply the results by 2, if you still can't get a number, do a 25/75 test and multiply by 4.) and let us know what it is. If your FC is zero and CC is that high you are going to need to follow the SLAM procedures, and follow them for as long as it takes to get the CC to zero and pass the OCLT.

We see a lot of posts that Menards has spectacular deals on liquid chlorine ... wish they made it out here.

My dad (in IL) often tells me of all the free after rebate stuff he gets ... I think he got some things where they paid you to buy it ... the rebate > the cost :shock:

I added another seven gallons of 12.5% bleach yesterday. CC was measuring at 4.

I did drain and refill a little more water too. Put in a pound of pH+ to try and raise pH a little (still reading at about 7.2). And also it rained this morning.

This morning I tested again and still no free chlorine and CC is now up to 6.

I did the 50/50 mix test to check CYA and that would indicate that it is over 200! (even at 50/50 mix the dot disappeared long before I hit the 100 mark)

So I'm thinking about hitting it with another eight gallons of 12.5% bleach.

I guess maybe I should just be happy that I have crystal clear water.

Ouch, sky high is right! If it disappeared long before it hit 100 it could well be over 300. If that is true you would need to keep your FC around 58 to SLAM it. If you can't do a large water change then keep doing what you can every day because it is going to be jug after jug, probably more than 10 gallons a day to SLAM it.

Your pool is the extreme example of what happens when pool stores don't care about CYA levels. We have seen people with levels over 400 before, so in an attempt at keeping it positive, it could be worse :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You are going to be wasting a lot of money on chlorine until you get that CYA in check. Another problem is that you pH test will never be valid at the high FC levels required.

Drain and fill is "free" but one heck of a lot of time. But probably some cost in chemicals to get the water "right" again after adding in all that fresh well water. The primary problem with draining and filling is the loss of the warm water. We don't get much of a swimming season here in Minnesota so warm water is precious (I refuse to heat it and don't even have a heater anymore). The water was a nice 88 degrees on Friday, now it is down to 82 degrees.

Yes, the CYA issue is annoying and I'm looking forward to future years being far more "educated".

Dumb question of the day? (it's probably been asked a million times) What is happening when you add chlorine (several gallons to a 25,000 gallon pool) and then immediately add pH+ (Sodium Carbonate)? It creates beautiful white cloudy water which very quickly clears to crystal clear again. But is that pH helping the chlorine? Neutralizing the chlorine? I'm curious.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.