Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: white covers on bottom and how to remove lots of stains.

1. Back To Top    #1

white covers on bottom and how to remove lots of stains.

Got this pool cleaned up and was wondering what the white things are on the bottom. We did notice that they do have water come out of them due to trying to figure out the valves on this pool we just moved into. Also, you can see that we got it real clean, but there are stains all over. How do we address it? I saw the post about the vitamin C, but this is massive amount of staining. This was taken right after we got it decently clear but now it is crystal, and so awesome!

11,000 gallons
    Believe it to be concrete mix. (have not done research to actually determine what it is.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    11000 Gallons
    In Ground Concrete Mix (I think)
    1 HP Haywood Pump, Paper filter cartridge, large one don't know number.
    Polaris 360 sweeper/cleaner
    Built 1996.
    Jacksonville, FL

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: white covers on bottom and how to remove lots of stains.

You must just have some floor returns to help with circulation ... hard to see in the pix.

Use the Vitamin C to test the stain, if it lightens, then you have confirmed that you have metal stains and will need to do an ascorbic acid treatment to remove them:
    pool-school/metal%20stains

If the vitamin C does nothing, try a trichlor tablet for a few minutes. If that lightens it, then the stain is organic and elevated FC should slowly remove the stain.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Can you post a pic of your now crystal clear pool?

Did you follow the SLAM procedure? As in your 1st photo, it really looks like algae!

Also, please fill in your sig as noted in the 1st linked article in Pool School. Don't forget to put your location in your profile page under the user control panel at top.

Thx.
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

4. Back To Top    #4

I will have to take a new picture. This pool had laid dormant since beginning of 2010. It had a pool cover with frame and plastic and wood around it. But it still had critters. Green algae, was really bad. We shocked it like crazy, cleaning the filter about once an hour, then after a bit every 3 hours, then put in Clarified, had to because of the filter was old. Cleaned and soaked filter in Cascade to really clean it. It took about a week to get to the first picture I posted, where we could actually swim. But now I manage it real carefully and it is doing great! I do use the BBB method, I buy the chlorine from Pinch O' Penny as it is cheaper than buying bleach from the store. They only charge $4.98 for 2 1/2 gallons and it is at 11%, so that was more economical.
    11000 Gallons
    Built 1996.
    Jacksonville, FL

5. Back To Top    #5

Here are pictures from today. The sun was not out so they are not that good. As you can see the staining, but will try both methods in the forum.
    11000 Gallons
    Built 1996.
    Jacksonville, FL