Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chemical Storage

1. Back To Top    #1

Chemical Storage

So where do people store there chemicals. I'm looking at a metal storage cabinet (like in an office) on my porch. Its shaded but would still get very hot here in Oklahoma. I have a shed in my back yard but I cant see it being any better then the cabinet on the porch. Any comments/ thoughts/ suggetstions..?
    12x24 Doughboy. 8700 gallons~ 2 HP Dyanmo Pump~ 26" Sand Dollar Filter~TF 100 test kit~ Zodiac Ranger AGP automatic cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chemical Storage

The acid fumes will corrode that metal in no time. Better to look for a plastic deck box or something.
    Bleach and test kit should be stored out of the heat like an interior closet
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Didn't think of think of the acid fumes. Hmm were to convince the wife to let me store all the bleach.
    12x24 Doughboy. 8700 gallons~ 2 HP Dyanmo Pump~ 26" Sand Dollar Filter~TF 100 test kit~ Zodiac Ranger AGP automatic cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

It is ideal to store bleach inside; however, many of us have used our garages or outbuilding for ages.

The MA should be stored away/separate from any chlorine source. Chlorine and MA do NOT play well together.

Example: we store bleach (only a week or two supply) in the garage. MA we store under the deck behind a brick pillar and it is 'outside'. It is exposed to heat, but not direct sun.

Others will chime in with their storage ideas.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

5. Back To Top    #5

I do not even think the sun matters for the muriatic acid ... beside the heating and probably more out-gassing as a result, but chemically I did not think it affected it.

We keep the bleach in the laundry room (although much less now that the SWG is running) and the acid sitting outside by the pool equipment.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL

6. Back To Top    #6

I'll have to use my shed for acid and garage for bleach. I can't leave anything remotely unlocked. My littler dependents will destroy and open anything not bolted down.