Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rust stains on pebble tec

1. Back To Top    #1

Rust stains on pebble tec

We bought a house that came with a pool in March. In the deep end mostly, there were several rust-like spots on the bottom, BB size. Today I noticed one on the side of the pool, about a foot from the surface, so I'm ruling out actual things left in the pool to rust.

My questions, any idea what this is?
    Should I try Vitamin C?

From what I understand, pebble tec is about 6 years old.

I tried taking pics, but will not turn out clear.
    New pool owner 3/2013 14,000 gal pebble tec, 7 ft jacuzzi with spillover into pool.
    FNS +48 DE filter, raypak2100 heater, Pentair whisper flo 1.5, Hayward pool cleaner. TF 100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rust stains on pebble tec

It could be some rebar in the gunite happens to be close to the surface and resulting in the rust.

Vitamin C should lighten/remove the stain, but if it is due to rebar and not something that was sitting in the pool, the stain will reappear.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Try a vitamin C tablet on a small stained area and see how it goes. If that works well, it is worth considering the full AA treatment.

Most commonly stains that are easily removed with vitamin C are caused by iron in the water. If vitamin C does not remove it there are several other possibilities.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

To try the Vit C test, how many tabs should I put in a sock?

Thanks...
    New pool owner 3/2013 14,000 gal pebble tec, 7 ft jacuzzi with spillover into pool.
    FNS +48 DE filter, raypak2100 heater, Pentair whisper flo 1.5, Hayward pool cleaner. TF 100 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Does not really matter ... enough to cover the stain you are trying to lighten. May work better if you crush them up.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

One tablet held against the stain for 30 seconds is plenty for the initial test. For a treatment you will want quite a bit more.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School