Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Safe to backwash into the lawn?

1. Back To Top    #1

Safe to backwash into the lawn?

Curious if it's safe to backwash into my lawn? I'm running about a 10ppm FC level. It's just so dry down here in Austin lately and I don't want to waste any water... of course, I don't want to kill any grass either!

I'm using liquid bleach for chlorine.
    11,000gal, in-ground, concrete, sand filter, 3/4 HP pump, TF-100 Test Kit, Austin Texas

2. Back To Top    #2
    Maybe take a small sample of water and saturate an obscure section of the grass to see if it has any ill effect?

3. Back To Top    #3
    Yes, pool water is fine except for the most chemical sensitive plants.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

My yellowing lawn thanks you.
    11,000gal, in-ground, concrete, sand filter, 3/4 HP pump, TF-100 Test Kit, Austin Texas

5. Back To Top    #5
    I have no issues.. however, my polaris got stock against the ladder and the tail sprayed water (for what I assume was a few hours) and killed my wife's tulips.
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal

6. Back To Top    #6
    If you add salt to your water for feel or SWG then you can burn/kill the grass.
    20x40 24,000 gal IG plaster/CircuPool RJ45 SWG/2 skimmer/2sp 2.5hp Jandy Stealth/340sq ft cart filter/600sqftHeliocol Solar Panels/6ft semi circlr tanning ledge/25ft deep end bench/5ft sheer descent/2 lion head water features/1300sqft travertine paver/2 Colorlogic lights/Hayward Navigator/3step 2ft raised bond beam

7. Back To Top    #7
    Most kinds of grass are just fine with water from a SWG pool. There are many plants that are not bothered by the salt level from a SWG pool. If you are in an area that gets very little rainfall, the salt can build up in the soil and you may need to limit swimming pool water use to salt tolerant plants.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Re: Safe to backwash into the lawn?

Backwashing your DE filter to your lawn will kill grubs!
    2007 - 24' AG Doughboy Desert Spring dished 1.5', with DB Power Pak II-1hp pump, DB Sequel I Plus DE, Hayward H-Series Heater 100k + 8gal LQ.